Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2010 09:00

PERC 3 to PERC 4

How much trouble is it to upgrade my PERC 3/DC to a PERC 4/DC? I have a PE 6400 (Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>. The current card is missing the battery module (battery is dead) and I cannot find a new card. There are used or pulled cards on the internet but no one can or will tell me the life expectancy of the battery module. I am under the impression that the PERC 4/DC battery is charged by the card. I need to keep this server up and running (as funds are not available for replacement). Any and all help would be appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

I don't think it is possible ... I believe the PERC 3/DC is PCI and I don't think the PERC 4/DC was made in anything besides PCI-X.  PE 6400 has PCI slots only, which prevents you from using a PCI-X card in them.  I believe you can use PCI 2.2 cards in PCI-X slots, but not vice versa.

9.3K Posts

The PERC3/DC is a PCI-X card.

The PERC4/DC is also a PCI-X card.

A PCI-X card should work just fine in a PCI slot, assuming that there's nothing blocking the overhanging connector section on the card. It does reduce the bandwidth between the card and the motherboard, but should work just fine.

Now, as to whether specifically the PERC4/DC will properly work in a PowerEdge 6400, you'll probably just have to try to find out.

No Events found!