sebna
6 Indium

PERC 5/i question

Jump to solution

Hi,

I need to expand the size of my VHD for file server but only way to do it is by transferring it to bigger storage space as my current RAID1 setup is out of space.

Could you let me know if the below steps look correct?

Quick background:

I have Power Edge 2950 with PERC 5/i and  6x 3.5 inch slots. Two are occupied by RAID 1 with MS Hyper-v, another two by File server again in RAID 1 and final two by email server in RAID 1.

My plan of action was:

1. Shutdown the physical server.

2. Remove two HDDs making RAID 1 with Email Server

3. Insert in their place two new HDDs and configure them in PERC 5/i as RAID 1

4. Boot to Hyper-v

5. In hyper-v management console Export and import File Server to newly created volume out of new RAID 1 config.

6. Shutdown physical host.

7. Remove two HDDs creating RAID 1 which are hosting original File Server

8. Put in back RAID 1 hdds with Exchange server in place of RAID 1 with old File Server

9. During POST Import foreign config (with Exchange server) when prompt

Done?

Unless there is a simpler way? Or am I a missing something (other then of course resizing of VHD once on new RAID 1 config?

Thanks guys

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: PERC 5/i question

Jump to solution

Sebna,

Yes, that is the correct, and also the supported procedure for increasing the array size. The only issue I see that you could run into is if you were to do something like a system state backup, which can cause issues due to the differences in disks and size. Plus as you had said, the resizing of the VHD.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need any other assistance.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
15 Replies

Jump to solution

Sebna,

Yes, that is the correct, and also the supported procedure for increasing the array size. The only issue I see that you could run into is if you were to do something like a system state backup, which can cause issues due to the differences in disks and size. Plus as you had said, the resizing of the VHD.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need any other assistance.

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
sebna
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for you answer.

I will be making the changes live this weekend but in the mean time a slight problem poped up and just wanted to check if it is going to be a game changer for me.

The RAID controller battery is showing that less then 24h charge is left and the display is amber. It is like this for over 24h so I assume it is not a once per while formatting event. I have already ordered the replacement but I do not think it is going to be here on time before the weekend.

Should the battery state / problem stop me from proceeding or is the operation still safe to do?

I do not mind if speed of the controller is degraded as long as it is safe to do whole operation as per steps in my first post.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The first thing I would do is make sure the driver and firmware for the controller are up to date, and current. That is to ensure that the battery information you are seeing, isn't being generated due to the controller being out of date. So start there. The < than 24hr is a warning, but can be triggered by things like a learn cycle. It is an issue with the battery when that warning becomes persistent. I think you will be fine to get everything knocked out before replacing, but I would still get thorough backups before changing the configuration as you discussed.

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sebna
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Chris, one more time thank you for quick answer.

Few more questions. Is it safe to upgrade FW of RAID controller without updating BIOS and other Firmwares to newest versions? This server has not been updated to newest BIOS.

The driver from your link is for Win 2k3 while I am on 2k8 R2?

If I would have to update all other FW / BIOS what would they be?  Could you list them? Does order in which they are updated matters?

The batter warning remains on for over 48h now so I assume it is not learning / battery formatting cycle as it should go away after 24h.

Finally - if I absolutely do not have to, I would prefer not to do BIOS / FW updates at one day with RAID reconfiguration and importing / exporting of VMs as there is just too many things that can go possibly wrong.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I personally would get the server current, before performing the tasks. I wouldn't look at it as "too many things", as much as maximizing stability of the host system before asking it to perform everything. The system shouldn't have any issues with the tasks, but being current improves the chances of that. Just a suggestion.

One thing you can also consider, is running the SUU (Server Update Utility) from the OS. It will provide you a list of devices needing updating, and will update them as well. It can update the entire system.

You can find the SUU here.

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos
sebna
6 Indium

Jump to solution

In this case the final question.

Will SUU work in Core environment (Windows 2008 R2 Core)?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It should work within the 2008R2 Core.

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos
sebna
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Chris,

Do you know a software that you could recommend to use as safe and stable solution on 2k8 core for ISO mounting?

Thank you

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If you have the iDrac Enterprise you can mount the ISO via Virtual Media in the Remote Console.

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos