Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2015 21:00

PERC 6/I on R510 with more than five drives.

I have one of the R510 boxes that's configured with eight bays and I've swapped the PERC 6/iR for a 6/i. I've used the correct longer cable to allow the battery to mount where it's supposed to and I've populated  the bays with eight 2TB drives. When I first tried booting I got an error from the controller (firmware version 6.3.0) stating there were too many drives connected. I looked up firmware versions and found that the latest (6.3.3) firmware fixes that specific error. I jumped through all the hoops needed (the built-in management software wouldn't let me update, so I created a VD and installed Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 and ran the update software from Windows. This allowed install of all except one update and the successful ones included the PERC firmware. Now I don't get the message, but I do get the last three drives showing yellow instead of green and when in config I only see five drives.

Anyone know why this is, and how to fix it? The PERC 6/I is supposed to control up to 32 drives, and I believe the backplane is only connecting four to each side of the PERC...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 10th, 2015 09:00

Bill Seymour,

What is the status of the VD and each of the 3 hard drives in OMSA and controller BIOS?

August 10th, 2015 13:00

Controller BIOS doesn't show them at all, only the other five. OMSA shows all four drives in Connector 0 and only one drive in Connector 1. LEDs on the carriers for those three are currently blinking orange.

No Events found!