Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2015 14:00

PERC 6/I to H700 migration - Foreign config grayed out

I am attempting to migrate the RAID configuration on a PowerEdge T610 server from its original PERC 6/I controller to a new H700 unit.  However, while the drives show as existing when I boot the server into the RAID controller with Ctrl+R, "Foreign Config" is grayed out, and I cannot import the configuration.  It's as if the controller does not recognize there was a previous config.

If I put the PERC 6/i back into the system, it finds the logical drive just fine.  Both controllers are on the latest firmware.  I would really like to do this without having to re-config and restore from backup.  Everything I have read on this forum and others says it should be possible; if anyone can offer some assistance, I would appreciate it.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 16:00

Hi,

Are you choosing the import foreign from the VD mgmt. page or from the foreign view tab? What RAID level is it? Is the virtual disk is in an optimal state on the PERC6?

36 Posts

March 3rd, 2015 06:00

I am highlighting the controller on the VD mgmt page, hitting F2 for operations, then looking at "Foreign Config"; that is grayed out and there is nothing I can do.

There is no Foreign View tab; I have seen it in articles that describe the change, but I don't have it, just "VD Mgmt", "PD Mgmt", and "Ctrl Mgmt".  In the VD management page I have "No Configurations Present"  below the controller but above the drives, which (if I understand correctly) I would expect to see with the new controller.

There are four disks, currently in RAID-5 mode.  At some point, I'd like to migrate to 10, but I'm not working on that at this time, I just wish to bring the configuration over to the new controller.  The drives are in an optimal state, that is, no failures and no degradation.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 09:00

On PD mgmt does it show the drives as foreign? If you hit F2 on where it says no configurations present does it have an options besides create new VD? If there is no import option, you may need to create a new VD on the controller and not initialize, it may pick up the array still then without needing to restore from backup.

36 Posts

March 6th, 2015 07:00

I created a new VD; this just created a new disk, (I did not initialize).

Before I did this, I made a snapshot backup with the H310 in.  Due to time constraints, I ended up creating a new array with the H700 in the system, and restoring.  I'd have liked to actually resolve the issue in case I need to do this again some day; I still don't know why the H700 could not see the config from the H310.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2020 13:00

I have the same issue with H310 to H710

2.9K Posts

April 24th, 2020 15:00

What troubleshooting steps have you taken to this point? 

No Events found!