Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2014 15:00

PERC 6i firmware update

Hello, I am using ESXi 5.0. I have been snooping around Dell site and Google for days and not sure what to do. We recently bought a PowerEdge R610. I have created two virtual disks, RAID0 with Drive 0 and1 and RAID 10 with 2-3-4-5. Raid 0 is 500GB drives, no problems.. RAID 10 is 2TB drives each x 4, and this is where my problem rises. It lets me make my VD the same as the RAID 0, but the lights on the drives rapidly blink amber. If I were to remove them drives, blow away the RAID 10, and make a raid 5 with multiple 500GB drives, the lights stay green. So that tells me that there is something with the drives being so big. I looked around and found that my PERC 6/I has a firmware of 6.2.0-0013, so I am guessing that is the issue. So I find the update needed from dell (Perc 6/I 6.3.0-0001), created a TEMP VM, and tried to run the .exe update from a disk that I burnt from inside the VM. It tells me that it cannot run a 32 bit application in a 64 bit environment. I thought WOW64 would of taken care of that but I am not sure. So ultimately what I need is them lights stop blinking amber, and the error to go away in the configuration tab on Vsphere client. Is there a better way I should be doing this? Thanks in advance... Stephen

June 18th, 2014 12:00

Alright so I found the answer by working with it. What I had to do was make a raid 0 with two drives. Then install a OS (server 2008 R2 STD) on that drive. It has to be a raid 0 or you wont be able to install, windows install cannot see the drives correctly. Once I installed the OS, I ran the .exe from dell and firmware was updated. The reason I could not install before was I was trying to install from a VM server and not strait to the hardware. I still have the amber blinking lights however, I will continue to investigate. Thanks Stephen
No Events found!