Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 18th, 2016 14:00

PERC H200: upgrade

Hi to all

i have some servers with PERC H200.

I would like to upgrade the raid controller (or even changing the whole server with another one) but without backing up and recovering all datas (1.8TB)

Are there any upgrade plan to move from H200 to something newer like H730 ?

Can I move all disk from an R510 to an R530 and import foreign config? Based on H730 user guide, import from H200 is not supported.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 18th, 2016 16:00

Hello.

It is advisable that you backup your data before performing any maintenance tasks. You can upgrade from the H200 controller to H700 -I card. The H730 controller supports migration of Physical Disks and Virtual Disks from  only PERC H310, H710 &H710P. H200 is not supported in this migration path. 

93 Posts

April 19th, 2016 01:00

But can I migrate multiple time, for example between H200 to H700 and from H700 to H710 and from H710 to H730 ?

Based on user guide, seems to be a supported workflow, H700 can import from H200, H710 can import from H700 and H730 can import from H710

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 19th, 2016 16:00

Typically, a controller migration is performed within the same server platform in which case only the controller is upgraded. Your proposal requires another 12th generation server such as the R620 to support the H710 controller prior to the migration to a H730 controller on your newest 13th generation server. These types of hardware platform changes will not work with your proposed VD (bootable) migration due to the changes in motherboard Chipsets, Network drivers, and other miscellaneous device drivers that will not match. However, if you are referring to just a data VD that is will not be bootable, then you can migrate the VD’s by stepping through the each generation accordingly.

Migrating a VD within one server with a change in just the controller is supported by the controller. However, a migration of bootable VD’s may, or may not work with your operating system. There is no guarantee that a system will boot for the given controller due the problems with loading the correct drivers. On some servers, it may be possible to insert the new controller in an spare existing PCIE slot and attempt to have the operating system load the needed driver. This method is not guaranteed depending on the system; as the unsupported slot priority usage may cause a No Post.  As stated previously, you will still have other problems with mismatched drivers for the other devices.

Thus, we highly do not advise migrating your VD’s in this manner. We recommend that you backup your data, install a fresh operating system and restore your data accordingly on the R530

93 Posts

April 20th, 2016 01:00

Drivers shouldn't be an issue, i'm not usign windows and my current Debian is able to boot from 11th or 13th generation as all chipsets are supported.

My question is: is PERC H730 able to import VD configuration from a H200 safely ?

Obviously i'll use this migration path only in emergency, i'm having many 11th generartion servers that are not supported by DELL anymore, so in case of failure I have to migrate to something newer.

No Events found!