Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 30th, 2016 11:00

PERC H330 unsupported drives.

PERC H330 unsupported drives.

Purchased a Dell T330 Server with PERC H330 RAID Controller (Firmware 25.4.1.0004) w/ 300GB RAID1 Dell SAS drive (ST300MM0008). I attempted to add another RAID1 using two Seagate Constellation (ES.3 ST2000NM0023 2TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise) Internal Hard Drives. I can see the new drives under DISKS, but the STATE of the new drives is UNSUPORTED and I cannot add as 2nd RAID1

According to Dell Support, I should be able to add the uncertified drives and configure the 2nd RAID1 regardless. The Virtual Disk Wizard does not see available space to create a RAID1. 1 have spent 1 week with their support team and escalation engineers never call back. I have been using uncertified drives for years now with no problem on other Dell Servers.

Any suggestions?

• 

6.2K Posts

September 30th, 2016 17:00

Hello

Any suggestions?

A drive is put into an unsupported state if it is not supported on the controller. If you installed a drive that does meet the requirements of the controller then it is a firmware communication issue.

When a drive is attached to the controller there is an exchange of information between the two devices. If the firmware on the controller cannot properly communicate with the firmware on the drive then the controller will not make the drive available.

You can try different firmware revisions on the controller and drive to see if you can find a combination that allows communication between the two devices.

According to Dell Support, I should be able to add the uncertified drives and configure the 2nd RAID1 regardless.

That is not true. I think you misunderstood what support told you. We do NOT guarantee functionality of non-Dell drives on our controllers. We do not block the use of non-Dell drives on the H330. If the drive is not being made available by the controller then it is simply because the firmware cannot properly communicate. It is not being blocked because it is not a Dell drive.

Thanks

2 Posts

November 8th, 2018 01:00

is this still true? 

i've got a vrtx and would like to use non DELL Drives.. but VRTX Perc8-Shared blocks the drive!

1 Message

March 17th, 2019 05:00

Good day! I have a problem. The controller Dell PERC H330 Mini/Adapter RAID does not see sas disks. drive lb406m. updated firmware 25.5.2.0001
No Events found!