Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

September 10th, 2015 14:00

PERC H700 SSD Compatibility

Is there a compatibility matrix anywhere for the H700? I need to find Dell certified SSDs with a capacity greater than or equal to 480GB.

-Ultimately we just need SSDs that will retain a RAID10 configuration, I know some enterprise class non-Dell drives will work as well.

Any information is much appreciated.

Thank you.

• 

8.4K Posts

September 11th, 2015 06:00

JW,

There isn't a compatibility matrix that I know of for HDD's to the controller. The easiest way to confirm compatibility of the drives is by server model. Let me know what server you have the H700 in, and I can let you know the compatible drives. 

Thank you.

42 Posts

September 11th, 2015 08:00

It is a PowerEdge R810.

• 

8.4K Posts

September 11th, 2015 12:00

For the R810, the only SSD supported that exceeds your 400GB request is part number DPF1J. Which is a Sandisk 800GB 6Gbps SAS SSD. Hope this helps.

13 Posts

September 21st, 2015 18:00

Chris,

I have quite a few R710's that I'd like to upgrade to SSDs.  Could you provide a list of SSDs that are supported on R710's with H700 controllers?  (This information is very hard to find.)  Dell part numbers are fine.  I can look them up from there.

Thank you.

13 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 12:00

Chris,

I added my reply to an existing thread, so I'm not the same person who originally posted the question.  In my case, I'm looking for smaller drives, 80-120GB for the OS, and 200-400 for the data.

• 

8.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 12:00

There are quite a few ranging from 50GB to 800GB, which look to be the same as the R810. So if you were still wanting the 800GB as before, it would be the same part number. If not let me know if you have a minimum size in mind. 

13 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 13:00

If In were in the same situation, I would be looking into replacing the Percs with the equal LSI (AVAGO)controller. Far cheaper SSD/hard drives, non propriety firmware (no certified disk firmware) , Lsi has a compatability list, LSI has support. Years ago I only used LSI retail controllers, never had an issue. If Dell was  over charging a small amount for certified drives I would feel different.

I agree with you, and I have used LSI controllers and generic SSDs on non-Dell hardware with success.  However, I have some critical servers that simply won't allow the downtime necessary to make the switch.  I need compatible drives that I can simply plug in and have work with the existing hardware and drivers.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 13:00

"I have quite a few R710's that I'd like to upgrade to SSDs."

If In were in the same situation, I would be looking into replacing the Percs with the equal LSI (AVAGO)controller. Far cheaper SSD/hard drives, non propriety firmware (no certified disk firmware) , Lsi has a compatability list, LSI has support. Years ago I only used LSI retail controllers, never had an issue. If Dell was  over charging only a small amount for certified drives, I would feel different, but greed has taken over. Specialized firmware, certified drives possibly worth a 20% premium, but not what they charge. At a 20% markup, that would be a phenomenal profit from the drive sales.

2 Posts

September 25th, 2015 13:00

Years ago there was a thread about DELL releasing a firmware for H700 controller which will not block non-DELL drives.

The latest one DELL PERC H700 Integrated firmware release 12.10.7-0001 does not block the non-DELL drive but it just posts a warning to Alert log about the drive not being certifed dell.

The performance of the drive is not affected and the warning appears to be the only issue.

Tried SSD drives from Toshiba 400GB and Intel 800GB both SAS and SATA (regular and enterprize ones) in R610 server which used to have a SAS 6i and now replaced with H700i.

13 Posts

September 25th, 2015 16:00

Information about the SSD's supported by the H700 is almost non-existent.  In fact, this is the first thread I've come across that gives a Dell part number, and I've been looking for this information for years.  My H700's have the newest firmware, so using non-Dell drives might be an option, but I don't like the warnings in the log.  That's why I asked what Dell drives are supported.  If Chris won't answer, I probably won't have a choice, but I'd rather use supported drives if possible.

2 Posts

September 25th, 2015 17:00

Another option will be to reflash H700 with LSI firmware

It's called cross flash to LSI9260 because H700 is actually rebranded LSI9260

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

September 25th, 2015 18:00

ND2015.......

The issues is not if drives are blocked ( past history),, or if an alert comes up ( for most of us).......

Users are worried as to drives being seen by the controller at all,

In some instances, a certain number of drives work fine but a greater number does not.

Users need to know if a particular make/model drive will behave itself under all circumstances long term; nothing worse than an array which functions fine 99.5% of the time

SSDs in general are an evolving technology, and as such there is an unusually high rate of  compatibility issues.

Lastly if you have multiple servers, and you are the SSD purchaser, with the high cost, of SSDs your job is possibly on the line.

LSi compatibility lists below, Dell should have at least 1....... is that asking too much.

http://www.avagotech.com/support/interop-compatibility

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 26th, 2015 08:00

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&s=bsd&category_id=7177&mfgpid=239283&tab=Parts&stype=2&~ck=anav&p=1&sort=-price

Get the part number, then shop third-party suppliers, which sell the exact same Dell part number for far cheaper than buying direct from Dell.

Compare the 800GB version:

$2600:  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

$1300: http://www.serversupply.com/SSD/SATA-3GBPS/800GB/DELL/342-5823.htm

Versus a non-certified enterprise-class SSD for $900 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147358

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

September 26th, 2015 12:00

Interesting the price differences....$900 to 2600, $1700.00 difference , absurd.

Get a kick out of serversupply,...... MFG WARRANTY : NONE. OUR WARRANTY : 30 DAYS.

Newegg....., I would NEVER purchase anything from them  which might require warranty return. They screwed me on a DOA motherboard, which was an authorized RMA return, denied the replacement and they still have my DOA motherboard.

All said an done, if I had to produce a server with a large number of expensive SSDs, I would order a Dell with the cheapest controller/cheapest drives and replace it with an LSI controller, buy retail drives, or build a Supermicro server from scratch. As to the Supermicro, for what I save on SSDs, I could easily purchase all the hardware for two servers, maybe three.

14 Posts

April 21st, 2016 12:00

current drive:

ID 1:0:6

Status Critical

Name Physical Disk 1:0:6

State Failed

Power Status Spun Up

Bus Protocol SAS

Media HDD

Revision XRMA

T10 PI Capable No