Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 10th, 2016 02:00

PERC H730 Upgrade in R730 Question

Hi All,

We ordered an R730 server with 5 disks with the view to running VMware on it. I forgot to spec in the PERC H730 RAID Controller, so it came with OS only RAID. As we are running VMware, I could not use RAID, so we had to set it up on a single disk.

I would now like to order the H730 and have one of my guys upgrade it on site (we will copy data off first etc), but my question is, do we need any extra pieces, or does the H730 just slot in to a free slot, and we are good to go?

I just don't want to get my engineer all the way to the site and not be able to install it...

Cheers

• 

6.2K Posts

March 10th, 2016 09:00

Hello

do we need any extra pieces, or does the H730 just slot in to a free slot, and we are good to go?

Yes, there is more to it than that. If you ordered the system with just the S130 embedded controller then the backplane is cabled to the system board. When you install the PERC H730 the backplane will need to be cabled either directly to the PERC or to the SAS connectors on the system board for the mini PERC. The H730 supports both the mini H730 and an adapter version of the H730 that goes into a normal PCIe slot. The cabling is different for both.

I don't show that there is a supported upgrade path from a chipset controller to a hardware controller. Because there is not a supported upgrade path there is not a kit you can order that contains all of the necessary parts. If you tell me which backplane you have and which PERC you are ordering I can give you the cable part numbers you need. You can order them through spare parts. You will not likely be able to purchase them through normal sales.

Thanks

6 Posts

March 10th, 2016 14:00

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

How can I find out the version of the back plane if I don't have access to the server? I have access to the DRAC and the order details if I can get the info from either of these?

Also, we are looking to buy the H730 (PERC H730 INTEGRATED RAID CONTROLLER 1GB NV

CACHE CUSKIT IN).

Thanks again!

• 

6.2K Posts

March 10th, 2016 14:00

How can I find out the version of the back plane if I don't have access to the server? I have access to the DRAC and the order details if I can get the info from either of these?

It should list the backplane information on the order. You need to know the slot sizes(2.5", 3.5") and the number of slots. If you go  to Storage>Enclosure on the iDRAC it lists a description of the backplane as well.

Thanks

6 Posts

March 10th, 2016 15:00

Thanks, I didn't realise that's what you meant by backplane. The order shows:

'Chassis with up to 8, 3.5" Hard Drives, Software RAID'

I hope this is what you needed.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 10th, 2016 16:00

'Chassis with up to 8, 3.5" Hard Drives, Software RAID'

RG13T

You will need to contact spare parts to order 5 digit part numbers. Normal sales reps are not usually able to order replacement parts. I'm fairly certain the controller and that cable are all you need, but moving from a chipset controller to hardware RAID is not a supported upgrade path. We do not have a step-by-step guide or a kit for this type of upgrade.

Thanks

6 Posts

March 10th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for your help. i guessed this is just what they do when they build the servers? i.e. if I was to choose the PERC 730 card in the configurator?

• 

6.2K Posts

March 10th, 2016 17:00

i guessed this is just what they do when they build the servers? i.e. if I was to choose the PERC 730 card in the configurator?

I used the factory build guide as a reference to try to determine all of the necessary parts. Since there is not a kit or upgrade process I had to reference a lot of material to try to verify which parts you will need. To my knowledge you only need the controller and cable. You will also need to enable the integrated controller in the system BIOS and set the SATA mode to something other than RAID.

Thanks

2 Posts

March 1st, 2017 15:00

Hi Daniel,

I have the same problem as Neo, only with a PowerEdge R430 with the 10-drive backplane and an H730 mini controller.  I am hoping you might be able to find the part numbers for the cables I need, or at least provide a reliable way to find them myself.  Any chance you could help?

Thanks a bunch for any help you can provide.  And thank you for your attention in any case.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2018 08:00

Daniel,

I looked for a way to contact you through the forums here regarding help on this exact issue at our command here on Fort Huachuca, Az.  Would you be able to reach out to me to discuss this?  We are being told the H730 controller cables can no longer be ordered but we have two R730 that arrived without them and, as a result, have never been setup or even used.  We've had them racked for over a year now and have been unable to use them. 

Are you able to pm me through the site here?  Would like to start a dialog offline if possible to keep sensitive data offline as these servers are in a secure environment.

Thanks,

Daryl

No Events found!