Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2020 15:00

PERC H730P Mini with R740XD2 24 Drives

Hi I will like to create a 1 RAID6 with 23x 10TB NL-SAS +1 Hot Spare. Is this possible do to this configuration ?

R740XD2 with PERC H730P Mini

If not what is the biggest amount of HDD drive that I create 1 raid type with this card ?

Thanks !

• 

8.4K Posts

April 29th, 2020 11:00

I am not certain where you saw that, but it is incorrect, you can have however many 12gbps drives installed in a Virtual Disk and they will run at 12gbps. The only way that isn't the case is if a slower drive is used when configuring the Virtual Disk, which the controller would flag all the 12gbps drives as whatever the slowest drive speed is. ^CH

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

April 24th, 2020 04:00

Well, technically yes. It should be possible to create it. For the H730P Mini 32 HDDs/SSDs are the max drive support.

Regards.

2 Posts

April 29th, 2020 06:00

Thanks for the answer. I read somewhere that if I put more then x amount of drive the speed will decreasse from 12G to 6G SAS. How many drive that I can have without I have this speed decrease ?

Thanks.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2022 22:00

"You can have however many 12gbps drives installed in a Virtual Disk and they will run at 12gbps.
That was listed"

What JG-1 was referring to was the info another Dell Moderator ( DELL-Daniel My ) communicate here in the thread:  https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/H730P-with-more-than-8-drives/td-p/5003600

Which answer from a Dell Moderator is correct?  When 2 reliable sources contradict one another it is confusing for users.

"DELL-Daniel My
‎06-23-2016 02:02 PM

Q:  Can all 12 drives then operate at full 6 gbps?

A:  Yes, all 12 drives can operate at 6Gb/s. If you wanted to get the full 12Gb/s out of SAS drives then you would populate a maximum of 8.

Q:  I thought 1 drive would use 1 port, or does it utilize port sharing somehow? If so, will the 8 drives operate at full 6gbps no matter which bays I use or do I have to take that into account?

A: Yes, the 8 ports utilize a form of port sharing. If you populate more than 8 drives then the 8 ports can split. You can populate up to 16 drives per controller to attain 6Gb/s. If you populate more than 16 they will operate at 3Gb/s. Each port can support up to 4 devices.

Thanks,
Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer"

• 

3.1K Posts

February 25th, 2022 01:00

Hi @NPAT,

I can't find any information on what Daniel has provide to support his reply. Unfortunately  Daniel is not with us social support anymore, so I couldn't reach out to him if there is somewhere he referred to. 

Here's what I know, there is no limit of populated 8 drives configuration only in order for you to get 12Gb/s. You can have as many as the server supports, in this topic, that's 24. 

2 Posts

February 27th, 2022 22:00

Thank you for the clarification.  That helps dispel the confusion and accurately explains that the controllers throughput expectations would be 12Gbps regardless of the number of drives.

No Events found!