masterx81
1 Copper

PERC S300, migrate from RAID 1 to RAID 5

Hi!

I need to increase the capacity of my server, i'm thinking to put one more 2tb drive to my 2x 2tb raid 1, and convert it to a raid-5.

I'ts possible the migration from raid1 to raid 5 with this controller?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: PERC S300, migrate from RAID 1 to RAID 5

Hello.

Unfortunately, the PERC S300 does not support RAID level migration such as converting RAID 1 -> RAID 5 with additional drives. The option available for you is to backup your data and re-create RAID 5 array with 3 2 TB hard drives. If the RAID 1 hosted the operating system, then it will require re-installation.

Thank you.

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

0 Kudos
masterx81
1 Copper

Uhm, ok, Maybe a backup of the whole os (with a tool like acronis), create the raid 5, and restore, save me from the reinstall of the os. Thanks you Very much!

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

However, I would strongly recommend you NOT use RAID 5 on this controller. Performance is bad enough, but RAID 5 will create a whole new level of poor performance.

Recommendation 1: Add two new drives in RAID 1 and use a separate volume for additional storage.

Recommendation 2: Replace the S300 with an H700 controller.

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Rhenium

Another note to add:

If your existing raid 1 was set up in BIOS mode, your boot drive is limited to 2048GB as the maximum size and any extra space will be unusable unless the S300 supports slicing (in which case you'd end up with 2 disks in Windows disk management). I don't think I've worked with software raid since the ancient PowerVault 725/735/745 from Dell, so I'm not sure if the S300 supports slicing or not.

However, if your OS was installed with the system in UEFI mode, and therefor the bootdisk is a GPT disk, you can theoretically back up, delete, create raid 5, restore OS, and be severely disappointed in the performance (like theflash1932 mentioned).

Member since 2003

0 Kudos