Highlighted
volunteer99
1 Copper

Perc 5i boots to esxi login screen after HDD replacement

I have a PE 2900 with Perc 5i. The physical drive 0, which is half of a RAID 1 virtual drive failed, amber only light. I finally located a replacement drive which when installed completed the rebuild and shows the proper configuration when viewing the RAID controller set up page. However when the server continues the boot it presents a yellow and black screen and requests a password for "root". This server has never been configured to enable ESXi (vmware) during my 5 years working here (church office). I tried the obvious "dell" and "service tag" passwords without success. I am wondering if the used replacement drive holds some residual configurations settings or something in the bios settings was inadvertently changed. How can I turn off this boot step? The unit hangs at the request for root password and only cycling power can initiate a restart. If this question has been addressed before I apologize as I thought I did a pretty thorough search without finding a solution.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DellEMC

Re: Perc 5i boots to esxi login screen after HDD replacement

It may just be that I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like the server is doing everything correctly. It's completing OS handoff to ESXi, but (as I understand it from your post) ESXi shouldn't be there at all. This would mean that the server is identifying the PERC as a boot device and the new drive as a viable boot option. If it shouldn't be there and this is a replacement disk, I would create a new initialize a new RAID volume or format the disk, depending on how you want to configure it.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
volunteer99
1 Copper

Re: Perc 5i boots to esxi login screen after HDD replacement

Thanks for responding. Your interpretation of my original message is correct. The new  (replacement) drive should not be a viable boot device. Your recommendation would format the replacement drive and then create a new raid volume. I will try this again as I thought I had already done this once. Perhaps I did it incorrectly the first time.

0 Kudos