ZLOky
2 Bronze

Perc 6/i 1 disk replaced, how to rebuild (RAID 5)?

Hi,

At the time of replacing I had close to "0" knowledge about this raid controller. The thing is when I replaced faulty HDD with new one same capacity, I think I didn't choose correct option. I chosen "import foreign info" to a new HDD instead to "clear" and then rebuild. Anyway, in the system is new HDD with status "READY" but I can't REBUILD to the RAID 5 configuration. ATM the system is working fine like it is but if another HDD will go off, I will lose all DATA.

Is there a possibility to rebuild the system to RAID 5, if so how?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DELL-Robert Odongo

RE: Perc 6/i 1 disk replaced, how to rebuild (RAID 5)?

ZlOky,

Within the controller BIOS (Ctrl + R), you assign the replaced hard drive as a global hot spare. It should be able to transition from “READY” to “REBUILD” state.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

0 Kudos
Admin4U
3 Argentum

Its a good thing the firmware knows better, because had the drive been imported, the whole array would have been corrupted. Importing a drive is akin to forcing the drive online as if it is part of the existing array, and of course a new drive is not. Never import the foreign configuration unless your array is FAILED.

Back to the issue at hand, it is always better to rebuild a drive while in the OS. as that ensures the controller recognizes the drive as being inserted while on and should automatically start a rebuild without any intervention. If the drive doesn't start a rebuild, use OSMA to set it as a Global Hot-spare.

0 Kudos
ZLOky
2 Bronze

Dear,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I set it as (G)HS and as dedicated HS, but it doesn't work, I can't set it after to "REBUILD" state nor it doesn't start it automatically. 

Any other suggestions?

See attached pics below.

Cheers,

ZLOky

0 Kudos
ZLOky
2 Bronze

another pic... (only 1 per post can be uploaded?)

0 Kudos
ZLOky
2 Bronze

3rd pic...

0 Kudos
ZLOky
2 Bronze

4th pic

0 Kudos
ZLOky
2 Bronze

and last 5th pic...

0 Kudos
DELL-Robert Odongo

Zloky,

It is possible that the array meta data might be compromised as a result of importing foreign configuration from the replaced hard drive. What is the status of your Virtual Disk. Please send me the screen shot of the Virtual Disk as well.

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

0 Kudos
ZLOky
2 Bronze

Hey,

Sorry for late reply, I was in the field all day yesterday. 3 pics following...

tnx

0 Kudos