Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2015 04:00

Perc 6/i 1 disk replaced, how to rebuild (RAID 5)?

Hi,

At the time of replacing I had close to "0" knowledge about this raid controller. The thing is when I replaced faulty HDD with new one same capacity, I think I didn't choose correct option. I chosen "import foreign info" to a new HDD instead to "clear" and then rebuild. Anyway, in the system is new HDD with status "READY" but I can't REBUILD to the RAID 5 configuration. ATM the system is working fine like it is but if another HDD will go off, I will lose all DATA.

Is there a possibility to rebuild the system to RAID 5, if so how?

Thank you in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 18th, 2015 11:00

ZlOky,

Within the controller BIOS (Ctrl + R), you assign the replaced hard drive as a global hot spare. It should be able to transition from “READY” to “REBUILD” state.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

112 Posts

May 19th, 2015 00:00

Its a good thing the firmware knows better, because had the drive been imported, the whole array would have been corrupted. Importing a drive is akin to forcing the drive online as if it is part of the existing array, and of course a new drive is not. Never import the foreign configuration unless your array is FAILED.

Back to the issue at hand, it is always better to rebuild a drive while in the OS. as that ensures the controller recognizes the drive as being inserted while on and should automatically start a rebuild without any intervention. If the drive doesn't start a rebuild, use OSMA to set it as a Global Hot-spare.

12 Posts

May 19th, 2015 02:00

4th pic

1 Attachment

12 Posts

Dear,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I set it as (G)HS and as dedicated HS, but it doesn't work, I can't set it after to "REBUILD" state nor it doesn't start it automatically. 

Any other suggestions?

See attached pics below.

Cheers,

ZLOky

1 Attachment

12 Posts

3rd pic...

1 Attachment

12 Posts

and last 5th pic...

1 Attachment

12 Posts

another pic... (only 1 per post can be uploaded?)

1 Attachment

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 19th, 2015 10:00

Zloky,

It is possible that the array meta data might be compromised as a result of importing foreign configuration from the replaced hard drive. What is the status of your Virtual Disk. Please send me the screen shot of the Virtual Disk as well.

12 Posts

May 21st, 2015 01:00

2nd pic...

1 Attachment

12 Posts

Hey,

Sorry for late reply, I was in the field all day yesterday. 3 pics following...

tnx

1 Attachment

12 Posts

3rd last pic.

12 Posts

May 21st, 2015 05:00

and the pic...

1 Attachment

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 21st, 2015 09:00

Zloky,

Looking at the screen shots, your Virtual Disk is in the optimal state; indicating no issues with your hard drives and thus explains why the HS did not take action. The HS will only rebuild if the VD goes into a degraded state due to a failed drive.  It is possible that the failed drive was your assigned HS, or just a standalone hard drive that was not assigned.

The fact that we do not know the view of the foreign configuration that you imported into the VD, makes it necessary for us to have a look at the controller logs for more information.  Again, the raid meta-data may be corrupt and the information you’re looking at may not be truly reflective of the original VD.  It is good that your data is accessible, but in the worst case, you may to have backup the data, and completely recreate the VD, and reinstall the OS to clean it up.

Please attach the controller logs to the e-mail that I will be sending you, and we’ll be glad to take a look at for you.

To export the controller log using OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator) software, go to the Storage, PERC then click on Information/Configuration as illustrated below:

12 Posts

May 29th, 2015 02:00

Dear,

I have difficulties installing OMSA on our Server with Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS 32 bit. 

Can you give me some direction to install OMSA or is there another way to export controller log?

Cheers,

ZLOky

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the update.

What version of OMSA were you trying to install and what exact issues were you getting?

Meanwhile, you may also run a one-time DSET report for detailed review of your hardware and system logs from here.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VVC28

No Events found!