Highlighted
Ulf Borjesson
1 Copper

Perc 6 i config

Jump to solution
I wanted some advice on how to best configure my PERC 6i controller. Currently there is 8 SAS 146GB drives in the system. 
2x146 Raid 1 C drive (OS)
5x146 Raid 5 D drive (Data Storage)
1x146 No Raid E drive(Cache)

The reason I am asking is because of high disk transfer numbers especially on the C drive. Would it be beneficial to use all 8 drives in a raid 5 configuration? Would that improve performance?
 I changed the policy from write through to write back and it seemed to help some. The system is mostly used for read access during business hours and only updated nightly.
The server in question is a R710 with 36 GB of ram 2 x quad core cpu.
Any advice would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dev Mgr
6 Gallium

Re: Perc 6 i config

Jump to solution

I don't believe the PERC6i has been validated for SSD. This doesn't mean it won't work, but you are on your own to try and figure out if it'll work. Dell added SSD support with the newer PERC H700 raidcontroller.

Member since 2003

3 Replies

Jump to solution

The current configuration is the best from a performance and stability standpoint. If you run into any issues with the OS and have to resintall, it is much easier if the data is located and safe on another array. If you create a single raid 5, then you don't have that seperation. So in the long run it its more benificial to seperate them into there own arrays.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Ulf Borjesson
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Does this system support to have SAS drives and SSD's on the same bus? Does SSD's imporve preformance on this system?

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

I don't believe the PERC6i has been validated for SSD. This doesn't mean it won't work, but you are on your own to try and figure out if it'll work. Dell added SSD support with the newer PERC H700 raidcontroller.

Member since 2003