Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 4th, 2014 14:00

Perc 6i RAID 0 config for new drive

Hi all, i have the Perc 6i RaId controller installed in my Precision T7400, and i currently have 2 drives in RAID 0 config. I just bought a 3rd drive to add in as RAID 0, but I don't entirely remember how to create a new VD with it. I currently have each physical drive in there as being its own VD, and i would like to have this new one be the 3rd VD. But when i go into PD management, the 3rd drive is there, but upon selection F2 for operations, the only option i can choose is make an online hotspare.

I don't really understand RAID too well, but if this drive is in this hotspare mode, will Windows Server see it as a physical drive? I was under the impression that eahc physical drive had to be made into a VD for Windows to see it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks1

173 Posts

May 4th, 2014 14:00

Nevermind, i was able to figure it out

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 4th, 2014 15:00

Yes, because the PERC does NOT support non-RAID/JBOD, all drives must be part of a RAID array (VD - Virtual Disk) in order to be usable by the OS (whether its own RAID 0 or part of a more traditional RAID array).  While what you have done is acceptable in certain circumstances, because you said you didn't understand RAID too well, let me just make sure you understand that RAID 0 is a dangerous and risky RAID configuration.  There is NO redundancy and little additional benefit over a non-RAID controller.  In fact, because most enterprise-class drives are intended to be used in redundant environments, sometimes that puts data at greater risk when used in a RAID 0.  There are RAID levels that provide redundancy to protect your data and uptime that will also give you greater performance when compared to your single-disk RAID 0(s).

Looks like you answered your question, but for anyone that comes across this thread:

CTRL-R BIOS utility:  Boot to the CTRL-R utility, on the VD MGMT screen, highlight the controller, F2, Create New, select the disk(s), RAID level, size, name, and check the Advanced and Initialize boxes.

It can also be configured from the OS using the SAS RAID Storage Manager installed in Windows (or OpenManage Server Administrator on servers). 

No Events found!