Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2014 07:00

Perc H310 blue screen.

Hi all.

I am trying to et up a desktop with multiple drives to use as a home network but I am having major problems with my Perc H310.

I bought one as a new item on e-bay but had nothing but trouble with it (I the end loosing all data on the drives), after much discussion managed to get another as a replacement. I have now given up on trying to re-create the data I did have and start from scratch. I have 4 3Tb drives that have been configured into a raid10, but when I try to write to the drives the system crashes (Blue screen).

I am using LSI's megaraid as a way of configuring the drives as I cannot seem to be able to download the official Dell one as the card was not purchased direct, the same with the drivers (I have managed to get round this by updating through the windows device manager, but I do not know if this is correct).

The system I have is comprised of;

Asrock  B75 Pro3-M Socket 1155

3 wd green 3Tb drives

1 Toshiba 3Tb drive ( all sata III)

i5 -2500T  2.3 GHz  Quad Core processor

2x rip jaws 2gb memory cards DDR3-1333 PC3 - 10666.

All running with Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

Is the system compatible with the Perc? When the drives are not attached there is no issue what so ever.

Thank you in anticipation,

Stu.utt.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 31st, 2014 08:00

Some things to keep in mind:

• there is nothing guaranteeing a PERC will work on a Asrock motherboard - they are designed specifically to work in specific Dell servers
  • WD Green drives are NOT intended to be (and should not be) used on enterprise RAID controllers
  • you can't install Dell's server management software (OMSA) on anything except a Dell server or on anything but a Server OS; you probably can't install Dell's workstation RAID management software (RSM) on a non-Dell machine

That said, I think there is too much incompatibility to expect a reliable system here.  I would suggest one of the following:

• use different drives with enterprise RAID controllers (like the WD RE4)
  • user a different controller - a 'consumer' controller that one that will work with the Green drives (HighPoint/RocketRAID, possibly)
  • user the drives on the PERC in NON-RAID, then do a RAID 1 managed by Windows (even bypassing RAID, they aren't guaranteed to work)

No Events found!