Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 31st, 2017 05:00

PoewrEdge R320 questions...

hi guys

I'm new to the forum and servers so forgive me if I will ask silly questions. here they are:

1. do I need to have both PSU connected ? is the second one is for "backup" or if both connected performance will increase

2. currently I have 4x 1Gb HD SATA III installed and created RAID10 (via Ctrl-R utility) then I notice when system runs first drive activity LED flash once every couple of seconds and the other 3 flash quickly and almost in sync. is this normal ? HD 1 and 2 are Seagate Desktops but HD 1 was pulled from iMac desktop

3. currently there is PERC H310 mini installed and not supporting SATA III drives. can I change that to something else that support SATA III and will this increase performance ? 

thanks for any help 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 31st, 2017 12:00

1. No, you don't. It is strictly for failover, but if you leave one disconnected, the server will give you an error. It won't use more energy having both plugged in, so I would just keep them both plugged in.

2. Yes, normal. Using desktop/laptop/NAS drives in a server is a bad idea. Don't use them if you value the data on the drives, as it could become corrupt at any time, that is IF they work at all. Mixing drive make/model without them being certified drives is also asking for problems.

3. The PERC H310 supports both SAS and SATA. Putting anything besides a validated/supported controller will not likely result in better performance but a less reliable system.

4 Posts

December 31st, 2017 13:00

hi 

thanks for your reply

what I was asking I question 3 is that H310 only supporting SATA II max and since drives I have are SATA III I don't take full performance from them. so if I would replace H310 to something that support SATA III it will speed thins up... I think

I know desktop drives are bad for server / was but is only experimental system perhaps in a future I will go for better drives 

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 1st, 2018 09:00

Very few applications on the drives you are talking about will be able to utilize the full 6Gb, let alone 12Gb ... it would not be worth the time, expense, and trouble. There is not a supported 12Gb controller for the R320, so anything you put in there may or may not work at all.

No Events found!