Not applicable

Power Edge T310 RAID problems

I have a  T310 server, and the RAID is being reported as degraded when rebooting. I've run Dell Online Diagnostics, and I'm getting a failure on the controller X test, and a read failure on one of the 3 drives. I have replaced failed drives in a RAID 1, but in RAID 5 can I just replace the what appears to be failed drive with one of equal or larger capacity and have it rebuild? Does the controller card need to be replaced, or might the failed drive cause the controller to test as failed?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Power Edge T310 RAID problems

Hello

in RAID 5 can I just replace the what appears to be failed drive with one of equal or larger capacity and have it rebuild?

Yes, as long as it is the same type(SAS, SATA).

Does the controller card need to be replaced, or might the failed drive cause the controller to test as failed?

No, I would not replace the controller. Yes, a failed device attached to the controller will likely result in the controller failing the test. I would suggest testing again once you correct the issue with failed drives.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks!

One more question: The RAID on this server is partitioned. Do I need to replicate the partitions on the new drive, or will they be created as part of the rebuild process?

Mike

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

By "partitioned", do you mean there are multiple arrays across the disks, or are you talking about the OS-managed partitions? Either way, you don't need to do anything - the rebuild will take care if it.

0 Kudos