Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2014 18:00

Power Edge T610 Disk Failure

Hi, looking for some advice.  I have T610.  2 disks in RAID 1 and both show predicted failure.  DELL suggest replacing both drives.  Deleting the RAID Virtual disk and recreating it.  Then restore OS from backup (SBS 2008)

Once i create a new VD and restore from backup, will i need to install RAID controller drivers for this, it has a Perc 6/i controller?  The drives a SATA disks.

Is there any other way around replacing these drives and restoring from backup.  I am assuming replacing 1 disk at a time and rebuilding will just remap the bad blocks to the new drive.

Thanks

4 Posts

March 1st, 2014 21:00

didnt mean to have a ? after the controller.

the controller is a perc 6/i

4 Posts

This was what DELL said.

there are bad blocks in both the PDs, there are possibilities of puncture bad blocks. In such case no, matter how you replace 1 drive at a time, the logical bad blocks will be copy across.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Why did Dell make that recommendation? There might be a good reason, but a simple pred fail alone is not enough. It is important to know what else was going on.

It should tell you which controller you have during POST ... the CTRL-R utility. If you don't have a CTRL-R, then you have a different controller altogether.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 06:00

Yes, there exists the possibility of corresponding bad blocks on both drives, but there are ways to determine that ... they should not be guessing or supposing. Did you run diagnostics on the drives? Did they review a controller log?

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 14:00

Yep they reviewed the controller log.  I sent it to them.

I am going to replace one disk and try and rebuild. 

if that fails i guess ill have to replace disk, recreate raid and restore from backup.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 18:00

If they for sure identified corresponding bad blocks on both drives, I wouldn't even bother attempting a rebuild ... I would simply wipe it out and start over, because even if the rebuild is successful, your array will still be damaged and the data will be incomplete, and it is only a matter of time before it encounters another error regarding the damaged array.

I would, however, thoroughly test each drive ... the corruption may have been caused by a bad drive, but it is also possible that the array became corrupt for other reasons and both drives may still be healthy.

No Events found!