Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2012 04:00

PowerEdge 1950 PERC 6/i Integrated firmware update problem

I have a number of PowerEdge 1950 servers with PERC 6/i that need firmware updating.

I have previously done this on an R610, not with out issue but it worked in the end.

I have tried to boot using F10, but it just boots to the OS so I am guessing the utility partition has been removed. 

So I downloaded a version of the System Build and Update Utilities iso and burnt it to DVD.

I boot off the DVD and then select firmware update option. I have tried from CD/DVD and USB with the same result, I get an error saying the files are not in the correct SUU repository format.

The files I am trying to load have come from an SUU iso image, unhelpfully the iso is over a single layer DVD in size so no good for me. So I have mounted the ISO and Dell Repository Manager to examine the repository directory, and created a new repository just selecting the PE1950 server files I want. I have copied these to a a CD and DVD and USB, but I get the same error all the time. I copied the files to the root directories too, again getting the same error.

What format does the SBUU want the firmware files in (Dell SUU repository format) and what is that and how do I get files that will upload?

I have done this sort of thing on HP machines before with none of the problems I am getting now!

I need to get a simple update solution I can give to less technical people to install on site visits.

Any help /guidance appreciated.

• 

8.4K Posts

November 6th, 2012 06:00

OK, once you get to its main menu then insert the SUU disk and select platform update.

• 

8.4K Posts

Same thing as the R610, but the only difference is that on the 1950 the F10 wasn't yet implemented . Which isnt pertinent to this update process, but just an FYI.

The issue I see in this post and the 1950 one is that you state you boot to the SUU, which isn't boot-able. The BUU is, but is unable to run that update.

Since it seems you have both ISO's burned to disk, the easiest thing will be to boot to the BUU disk, then from the main menu scroll to PLATFORM UPDATE. Before selecting please swap out the BUU disk for the SUU and then select Platform Update.

That will update the entire system with the repository.

9 Posts

I am booting from a SBUU System Build and Update Utility, which is bootable.

9 Posts

November 7th, 2012 04:00

If only it was that simple!!

As I said the latest SUU is unhelpfully a double layer DVD size, and I do not have access to a dual layer burner or dual layer disks.

So I downloaded Dell Repository Manager, and used the SUU repository as a source, and created a new repository with just the files for the servers I was interested is. When I put this disk it I get a message saying it is not in the correct SUU format, and it will not run the install, this is that part I ma having trouble with.

No Events found!