coffeecup9999
2 Bronze

PowerEdge 2800 RAID Problems

Recently, we had a failure with our PowerEdge server's RAID controller resulting in the "Memory / Battery problem detected. The adapter has recovered, but the cached data was lost" error message. That's a separate issue now, but it leads to our current problem. Perhaps foolishly, we removed the battery and DIMM on the RAID controller to see what would happen and the computer started to boot in SCSI mode. We force reset the server before it got too far when we saw this, replaced the battery and DIMM, then went to the BIOS to switch the Integrated Device back to RAID. Now when we attempt to boot to at least put it back to the way it was, we see "Warning: Detected mode change from SCSI to RAID on channel B of the embedded RAID subsystem. Data loss will occur!"

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. What sort of data loss is it referring to? Will it attempt to wipe the entire system? I don't want to touch anything for fear of making it worse. Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
theflash1932
7 Thorium

Re: PowerEdge 2800 RAID Problems

If it was RAID before, then switching to RAID will NOT result in data loss.  This is only true if doing some kind of format or write operation on the disk(s) in a mode different than it was previously configured.  So, just don't format or write to the drives in SCSI mode, and you'll be fine.  You get this message going between SCSI/RAID (either direction) any time it changes.

If you are still getting a memory/battery message and/or your OS will not boot, then you may still have a problem.  That message can be normal or may be an indication of other problems. 

0 Kudos
coffeecup9999
2 Bronze

Thank you for your response! That gives me a bit of confidence. I think I'll step back from the edge of the cliff now.

The previous problem will still be there, I'm sure, and it did involve the OS repeatedly resetting at the splash screen. After contacting Dell support and reading online accounts of users with the same problem, it sounds like it's most likely a RAID DIMM or Battery issue. I've ordered replacement parts, hoping that this is the case. Do you have any knowledge of this problem or suggestions as to how to proceed after I replace the hardware?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
7 Thorium

This is one of the most misunderstood and misdiagnosed errors on the 2800/2850 with Dell tech support, but the odds are, from your description, you have the right parts coming to fix it.  Basically:

If the message appears on every reboot and the LCD panel is blue, then it is the memory (most of the time, the OS will not boot with this scenario).

If the message appears on every reboot and the LCD panel is amber, then the device listed in the amber error message (usually battery) is at fault (the OS will usually not be affected under this scenario).

(I say "appears on every reboot" in both scenarios, because there are circumstances where you will normally see that memory/battery message (system's been without power for too long, memory/battery reseated, etc.) ... they do not persist beyond a single reboot (or sometimes two).)

0 Kudos