Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 13th, 2009 15:00

PowerEdge 2970 cannot see CDROM under Windows 2008 Server

Hi, I installed Windows 2008 Server Standard on a PowerEdge 2970 with help of the provided DSMT DVD.  The OS installed correctly but after I boot in windows, I cannot access the CDROM Drive.  Windows device manager does not list any CD/DVD ROM drives.  I can see the CDROM on POST and I can boot into it given bootable CD/DVD.

Am I missing something?

thanks!

1 Message

July 21st, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem with my new PowerEdge 2970.  Did you ever figure out how to resolve it?

5 Posts

January 11th, 2012 14:00

By the age of this thread, I'm guessing you all got it working by installing the Broadcom SATA drivers. Can either of you tell me what DSMT is exactly and from where can I download it? Google doesn't help.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 11th, 2012 14:00

DSMT is a typo ... should be SMTD (Systems Management Tools and Documentation), which is the OpenManage installation utility.  It installs necessary drivers, configures RAID, sets system partition size, etc. en route to installing a supported OS.  For some reason, that version did not have the Broadcom controller drivers.  You can find the latest SMTD (in which I would assume the driver is now present) by going to support.dell.com, entering your Service Tag or selecting your model, and looking under Systems Management.

847 Posts

January 11th, 2012 15:00

The 2970 DVD Rom drives no longer work on our 4.x ESX hosts either.   Frustrating....      

5 Posts

I had gone through those steps previously but didn't find anything with a familiar name that supported Server 2008 R2. It has been almost 10 years since I've used OpenManage, and in that time there seem to have been a few changes in naming conventions (among other things). I'm downloading a file named cdu_1.6_core_173_A01.iso that was  grouped under the "Systems Service and Diagnostics Tools" banner. I'll follow up with my findings.

Thanks for the lead.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

SMTD is here, actually listed under "secure" systems management:

The file you referenced should be SBUU (Systems Build and Update Utility), which is the "actual" installation utility (part of the all-in-one SMTD tool), but for 2008, I understand you will also need the OS Install/Maintenance pack, probably this one:

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

January 12th, 2012 09:00

Uncheck the box to install server administrator OR download that iso as well.

1 Message

September 2nd, 2015 16:00

Dell 2970 running Windows 2012 no CDROM DVD was visible in Windows Explorer. But could boot from the DVD. Device Manager (DM) showed Raid Controller under other Devices with yellow explanation mark. No CD\DVD showed in DM.

In Dell Support Drivers and Download after putting in 2970 Service Tag I changed the operating system to Windows 2008 R2 and expanded the Removable Storage updates node and selected the:

Broadcom HT1000/HT1100 Chipset SATA Controller QDMA_RMSD (SATA ODD), v.1.1.8070.1, A00 Windows 2008 x64 R2 SATA QDMA driver for HT1000 Chipset (SATA ODD) .

I down loaded and installed it to the Dell Drivers folder on the C drive. In DM I right clicked RAID Controller under Other Device clicked update driver software. Selected Browse My Computer for software. Selected the C:\Dell folder .  It Installed the R240362 driver. Scan for hardware changes in DM. And the DVD\CD-ROM node appeared in DM and Storage Controller DM Node was updated with Broadcom HT1000 SATA Controller.

This Broadcom driver was not listed in the Removable Storage Node when Windows 2012 or 2012 R2 OS is selected was listed when 2008 R2 OS is selected.  

No Events found!