Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

July 8th, 2004 19:00

PowerEdge 400SC and PERC3/DCL and Windows 2000 Server install hangs !

Hi all,

i try since long time to install Windows 2000 Server in a 400SC with a PERC3/DCL RAID Controller together with 3 SCSI Disks.

The PERC works fine, the disks are configured in a RAID Array and i get the BIOS message when i start the system.

Then the Windows Setup starts from CD and i press F6 to load the PERC3/DCL Drivers.

Then it ask me to put in the Floppy, which i do, chose the right driver and press enter, then Windows setup continous, but when it tries to start Windows 2000 Server, my Keyboard light blink all three once and it hangs on that "Start Windows 200" Screen.

Sometimes after a while it says, that i can no install or repair the Windows OS, but when i do so, it says that it doesn't find a Boot Device and i have to stop the Process with F3

The system has no IDE HD anymore, just a CD-ROM.

42 Posts

July 24th, 2004 15:00

I have no relevant real-life experience (I haven't tried it) but what makes you think that you have to load a driver from disk? Have you tried letting Windows 2000 recognize the PERC on its own?  It recognizes a lot of hardware ...

19 Posts

July 26th, 2004 10:00

i tried even with WS2003, which knows even more but it always do the same.

I installed it now with a normal Adaptec 39160 and this works, but i still would like to get the PERC working

42 Posts

July 26th, 2004 11:00

My WS2003 experience suggests that there is a limit to the boot partition size on an AMI PERC.  I had to make it smaller than 8G for the OS to recognize it. Perhaps that's worth a try, although I believe your PERC is from Adaptec.

19 Posts

July 26th, 2004 11:00

The PERC 3/DCL ist based on LSI not Adaptec, but how can i change the boot partition if i don't even get into this possibility ?

It stops already after loading all the drivers and when it comes to the point where it says that it starts now Windows OS it seems to hang and after a long while it says that it doesn't find a boot device and setup stops

2.5K Posts

July 26th, 2004 13:00

Hi,

The PowerEdge 400SC has not been validated with the Perc 3/dcl (or any Scsi Raid controller). I assume there is an IRQ or other hardware conflict causing this behavior, but as there has been no testing done by Dell, I cannot be positive.

Thanks for using the Dell Community Forums!
No Events found!