Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2017 21:00

PowerEdge 420 Disk 'Non Critical'

I'm new to dell servers.

We have amber lights on 2 drivers (2TB each) on our poweredge T420 server.

Is it possible to use Life Cycle Controller during boot to replace these 2 faulty drivers because in Open Manage some information doesn't come up. Can't see the disk information & can't figure out why . We have the latest drivers for H710 & Dell Certified Drives

Our Disk configuration is: RAID-5

• 

8.4K Posts

March 10th, 2017 05:00

Madurason,

If you go to the Add/Remove Programs section and locate OpenManage Server Administrator then go to Change and then verify that the Storage element is installed. That should then allow you to see the controller and drives, after restarting OMSA.

After that we need to verify the actual states of the drives, as well as if they are showing as Predicted Failure, as there are different processes for different failures. 

Let me know what you find.

9 Posts

March 10th, 2017 06:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out.

The Storage element is already installed.

In the Alert Logs it's mentioned as "Predictive failure reported for Physical Disk ..." for two disks.

I've also inserted two captures as well below. In the last image when i click on the "Physical Disks" it comes to an empty page

9 Posts

March 13th, 2017 02:00

Any update on this?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 13th, 2017 05:00

Thank you. If you click on the H710, is is currently up to date on firmware, showing any updates needed? If so then lets update the controller to start. The reason being is that we need to see if either of the Physical Disks are offline and Predicted Failure. There is a specific procedure for each is why we need to know.

9 Posts

March 13th, 2017 05:00

It doesn't show as update needed. I think it's the latest driver. we use win 2012 r2

Firmware Version 21.3.4-0001
Driver Version 6.805.03.00
Storport Driver Version 6.3.9600.17383

9 Posts

March 14th, 2017 21:00

Is there any other troubleshooting methods that i can perform to correct the OM issue?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 15th, 2017 14:00

Could you confirm if there is another Virtual Disk installed on the server or not. If not then we have two Predicted Failures on two drives in the same Virtual Disk.

Let me know.

9 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 08:00

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

There are 2 Virtual Disks.

Virtual DIsk 0 & Virtual DIsk 1

Can browse into VD 0 like in below snapshot but not to VD1.

Also this is what the Alert Log says

• Predictive failure reported for Physical Disk 0:1:5
  • Predictive failure reported for Physical Disk 0:1:6

So the problem seems to lie in VD1. Am i correct?

9 Posts

March 27th, 2017 03:00

Hello Chris

Any update about this?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 27th, 2017 06:00

Thats correct, they are both in VD1. Can you confirm if out of those 2 Predicted Failures if the drives are online or offline?

9 Posts

March 27th, 2017 23:00

They are both online.

• 

8.4K Posts

March 29th, 2017 06:00

Thank you. Do you happen to have a complete backup of all the data, if not then I would suggest doing so now. As anything we do can damage the data. Once we have a backup then we can try forcing one of the Predicted Failure drive offline and then replace it with another drive. Once it rebuilds try the same with the other Predicted Failure. Likely that the Virtual Disk will have a punctured stripe after this, but it is worth a try. If both rebuild work try running a Consistency Check.

If the Virtual Disks does have a double fault/punctured stripe then we would need to delete and recreate the Virtual Disk with the replacement drives and then reinstall OS and restore data from backup. Which is the most secure option we have.

9 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 05:00

Was able to Replace the drives successfully.

Everything is fine except we can't view these drives using Open Manage like mentioned previously.

Is there anything that we can do to troubleshoot this?

(On the Virtual Disk which i replaced the HDDs there are 3 2TB drives.)

No Events found!