Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2013 14:00

PowerEdge 6850 Faulty hard drive or PERC controller?

Hi All, what should I make out of this error. Is it a bad controller or failed hard drive? Can I hot swap the hard drive & the server will rebuild data on it or do I have to take manual approach of turning it off, replacing hard drive & then rebuilding from Dell server administrator? Thanks in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 30th, 2013 17:00

Should read hot "swap".  Yes, technically, hot-plug means hot-add, but that is a specific technology used primarily for add-in cards and memory, and has been traditionally been used interchangeably with "hot-swap" (although I would expect better of Dell documentation).  If the server has a backplane and the drives are accessible from the outside of the machine (even on systems as old as the 2450 (~2000)), then it supports hot-swap.  Also, when talking about SAS and SATA drives, regardless of whether there is a backplane present, the technology supports hot-swap.

Swap it hot ... never power down to replace hot-swap drives (and they ARE hot-swap).  It may turn out alright, but when you power on, the controller has to make a decision which array configuration to use (the config on the new drive or the config on the old drive) ... in most cases, it will choose the right one, but all too often, the incorrect array is chosen (either by the controller automatically or by the user manually).  Shut it down if you want, but just know it is bad form, and you will have earned the big fat "I told you so" you'll get should things go wrong (right before I try and help you fix it) :)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 30th, 2013 14:00

It is a failed hard drive (most likely, but not certainly, because the disk is bad).  If it is hot-swap, swap it hot ... never power down to replace a hot-swappable drive.  Just pull the failed drive, wait about 30 seconds, then put in the replacement.  It should start to rebuild automatically, but if it doesn't, then assign it as a hot-spare to begin the rebuild.  Once the rebuild is done and everything is showing healthy, then update your system firmware (BIOS, ESM, PERC, HDD, etc.).

39 Posts

January 30th, 2013 16:00

thanks flash, the 6850 manual says hot plug but not hot swap. My understanding around hot plug n hot swap is that hot plug is hot adding whereas hot swap is hot change, in this case i believe the server has to be turned off. Am I correct in my assumption?

39 Posts

January 30th, 2013 17:00

thanks flash, appreciated, sad that Dell doesn't clarify hot-plug/swap

No Events found!