Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2017 09:00

PowerEdge 720 / PERC H710P - Change to SATA?

Hi I currently have a PowerEdge 720 with an H710P mini PERC and 6 x 3.5" SAS drives.

I'd like to replace these with off-the-shelf SATA SSDs. Is this possible?

• 

6.2K Posts

December 15th, 2017 11:00

Hello

I'd like to replace these with off-the-shelf SATA SSDs. Is this possible?

I don't know what exactly you are wanting to do. The H710 is backwards compatible with SATA. You can't mix SAS and SATA within a virtual disk. If by "off-the-shelf" you are referring to non-Dell drives, we do not block the use of non-Dell drives on the H710. Non-Dell drives are unsupported, and their functionality will be trial and error on your part. You can find more information, including links to storage manuals, on our PERC page.

https://www.dell.com/perc

Thanks

2 Posts

December 15th, 2017 13:00

Thanks, Daniel.

I would not be looking to mix the drives within a virtual disk. Is there a chance my backplane wouldn't support SATA drives or is that standard?

• 

6.2K Posts

December 15th, 2017 14:00

Is there a chance my backplane wouldn't support SATA drives or is that standard?

Yes, there was a PCIe SSD backplane available for the R720. All other SAS backplanes are backward compatible with SATA. The PCIe SSD backplane is a 4 slot backplane that routes to a PCIe SSD controller, it does not cable to or use the PERC. It was available in a dual backplane configuration with a 2.5" x8 SAS backplane, so if you have the 2.5" x4 PCIe SSD backplane you will also have a 2.5" x8 SAS backplane.

Thanks

No Events found!