Highlighted
kelimak
Copper

PowerEdge 830 - Can I Setup Raid5 from existing hard drive with OS ?

Jump to solution

Hello,

Is it possible to setup Raid 5 from my existing hard drive which contains O.S (Windows Server 2003) and other software ?
I have everything installed on 1 hard drive and just purchased 3 more hard drives and want to install it on Perc controller.

I would like to create the raid 5 without having to start over (reinstall of OS , etc).
Any help is appreciated.

Thank You

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dev Mgr
Diamond

Re: PowerEdge 830 - Can I Setup Raid5 from existing hard drive with OS ?

Jump to solution

I don't believe this is possible.

What size drives do you have? The 4-disk raid 5 can't exceed 2TB as a bootdisk (limit of having a bios).

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
kelimak
Copper

Jump to solution

Every drive got 250 GB, so all size of System Partition will be 750 GB (+250 GB for parity ofcoz)

This 2 TB is only limitation ?

..Thank You for your response!

0 Kudos
pcmeiners
Platinum

Jump to solution

If the single disk is now setup on the Perc adapter.....

Single disk (=raid 0) to raid 5

Possible but not practical (I would not do it)....

Have not used a single disk (raid 0) on a server in 12 years.. never tried it, but according to the LSI manual (page 2-59), it is possible . If you do try, make sure you backup, better still clone it to a IDE or SATA drive. You would still need to add one more drive to the resulting raid 5, and use a partition manger to expand the raid 5 to utilize the space of the last added drive directly into the resulting volume. Seems like a lot of work. Your best off  cloning or imaging, creating the new array, then reverse cloning or restoring the image

https://selfservice.lsi.com/service/main.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=3633170421896306112&t=se...

kelimak
Copper

Jump to solution

I will do it in a way You propose,

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos