Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2014 10:00

PowerEdge II 2950 not allowing HDD space to be accessed

Good Day,

I have an old PowerEdge II 2950 server (Specs: 2x3.0 Ghz Xeon, 24Mb Mem 1Tb SATA HDD,1Tb SATA HDD,2Tb SATA HDD - Server 2012 Datacenter).

The issue that I am having is that I recently updated the OS from 2008 to 2012 DC, then installed an additional HDD (2TB).  I am running RAID 0, and the system is only showing a MAX avaliable HDD array space as 1.98 TB, with the remaining 0.02 Tb allocated for systems files.  The Perc 5i RAID controller has all three HDD's marked as online.  BUT I can not utilize the extra 2 TBs in the array.  I was going to purchase and install a 2nd 2TB SATA HDD and go to RAID 1; but, if I can't rectify this the un-represented storage space in the Storage Array I can not justify the purchase.  If any one can help I would be appreciative.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 15th, 2014 11:00

So, you have three disks - 1TB, 1TB, 2TB - in a RAID 0, and you are expecting to see 4TB of space?  If so, see my notes above.  Each Virtual Disk (RAID array) is presented to the OS as a separate "disk".  Windows cannot use a disk larger than 2TB unless it has been converted to GPT.  First, converting to GPT is data-destructive, so you would need to do a backup/restore.  Second, converting your boot "disk" to GPT will cause it not to boot on a 2950, because it doesn't support UEFI, which is required for booting to a GPT disk.

Bottom line?  You need to rethink your configuration on this machine.  You could do two 1TB disks in a 1TB RAID 1 for the OS (being MBR and bootable on a 2950), and then you could add the 2TB disks in a RAID 1 for your data.  At 2TB, you would not need to convert to GPT, but if you added more than 2TB of space, you would then convert that to GPT and use as many TB for data as you can fit in the system.

Also, you realize how dangerous running a RAID 0 is, right?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

I'm not exactly sure how you have everything set up.  Three drives (1TB, 1TB, 2TB) in a RAID 5 or RAID 0?  Or are the 1TB drives in a RAID 1 and the 2TB drive in a standalone RAID 0?

Keep in mind:

• Windows cannot use a "disk" larger than 2TB unless it is converted to GPT (data-destructive)
  • Windows cannot BOOT to a GPT disk unless installed on a UEFI-enabled machine
  • The 2950 does not support UEFI, so there is no way to boot to a "disk" larger than 2TB

The entire system is set in a RAID 0.  I am planning to set it in a RAID 1 if and when I can get the storage array to represent the actual size.

August 15th, 2014 12:00

Thanks theflash1932.  What you are saying makes complete sense, now.  I will be instituting your recommendations this evening.  I do understand how dangerous RAID 0 is, the system is a test system.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 15th, 2014 13:00

I do understand how dangerous RAID 0 is, the system is a test system.

Ok, just checkin' :)  There is a time and a place for RAID 0, and I'm always amazed at how many times it is used in the wrong place or wrong time :)

Good luck!

No Events found!