freshpowpow
1 Nickel

Re: PowerEdge R720 and PERC H710

Jump to solution

Thank you. I ended up moving the cable and everything worked as expected.

s-d-h
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was a bit confused by the above so I am writing to indicate what I did to get this to work.  We ordered our R720 with software RAID only recognizable by a Windows OS, and since we wanted to run VM, we ordered the PERC H710P (and got it shipped without the correct cable and received 3 wrong cables before finding the correct cable part number noted in this post:  "If you have the 3.5" HDD backplane - MX3P7").  I have to say Dell was very quick to respond, so total elapsed time was only a couple weeks. 

We removed the S110 cable.  We installed the PERC H710P controller and then used the MX3P7 cable to attach the disks to the motherboard next to the controller as described in this post with the diagram (THANK YOU!). 

I then changed the setting to AHCI Mode as noted. "SATA Settings>Embedded SATA>AHCI Mode"

I then set Integrated RAID Controller to Enabled. Integrated RAID Controller>Enabled.

On reboot I was then able to configure the RAID using LIfecycle Manager software (booted from CD). 

0 Kudos
imahen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm into the same trouble with Dell R720 and PERC710. As per your first step 

Turn off the S110 in the system BIOS(F2) SATA Settings>Embedded SATA>AHCI Mode   -   Done

but the second step

Integrated Devices>Integrated RAID Controller>Disabled   - Could not see under Integrated Devices > Integrated RAID at all. 

BIOS Version of my server is 1.4.8 

any suggestion please?

0 Kudos
vbwolff
1 Nickel

RE: PowerEdge R720 and PERC H710

Jump to solution

Can you tell me if these parts will work for the R620.  I added the exact same controller and have a 4 drive 2.5" backplane.  I also posted the question here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19581568.aspx

Thanks

0 Kudos
jchaps
1 Copper

Jump to solution

What diagram are you referring to in this post? We have the same issue but I'm looking for a diagram to reference.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rwschroll
1 Copper

Jump to solution

When you charge $600 for a RAID controller the size of a credit card, and the wording in the part number clearly states "Kit", you should INCLUDE the cable!!!!!  I have never known a "Kit" to be a single, solitary item.  Either include the cable or change your wording to state "we're screwing the customer by making them THINK they are getting a "Kit" when they are only getting the controller, then we are going to charge them AGAIN for what they need to make it work!!!!"

theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

"Kit" simply refers to an item that can be installed by the customer and not a field technician. It does not mean that all possible parts (cables, lengths, brackets) that might possibly be required for a specific setup/server are included. There are just too many variations.

When you charge $600 for a RAID controller the size of a credit card

?! In today's world of small, high-power tech you know size is irrelevant, and if anything, smaller will demand a premium.

0 Kudos