Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

O

3 Posts

May 24th, 2023 09:00

PowerEdge R730 - Problems Booting in

Hello All!

I hope someone can help me here, I am new to Dell Servers.  I have a Dell Poweredge R730, which I cannot get up & running. 

The Initial boot process, I get through, but I am stuck on the below:

oscar__0-1684943692744.jpeg

It looks like it is stuck on Initializing Serial ATA Devices... 

I cannot get to the F2-F12 Options above, & selecting Ctrl+R to run the configuration utility does nothing. (I've changed Keyboards)

I am able to get into the Ctrl-S Configuration Menu though, but I can't seem to do anything there.

Did remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, hoping that would do something but I am afraid not

I am open to suggestions, Thanks!

• 

3.3K Posts

May 24th, 2023 13:00

Hello oscar_,

It looks like it is not completing POST.

You indicated you were trying to get it up and running. Can you provide some history:

Have you had this working and now it does not?

If so; What was done on the server around the time it started not completing POST?

Are there any third party add in components? If so you may start by removing those and test.

3 Posts

May 25th, 2023 00:00

Hi Charles,

The server was decommissioned, it hasn't been on for at least a year, but was working at the time!

There was a GPU riser, which I removed, but that didn't change anything

Best Regards,

Oscar

3 Posts

May 25th, 2023 01:00

Photo of the internals:

oscar__0-1685002363862.jpeg

• 

3.2K Posts

May 25th, 2023 07:00

Hi,

please try a minimum to POST config and check if the system could complete the POST.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 26th, 2023 13:00

Hello oscar_,

I see DIMM A1 and A2 are populated. You should have A1 and B1 populated for the CPUs to be identically configured.

I also see a few DIMM Blanks that are not installed correctly. Please make sure the blanks are seated properly.

You may also inspect the DIMM sockets for any bent pins.

Review System Memory pages 79-85

https://dell.to/43y9ozb

If that doesn't help; Try removing network daughter card and PERC controller and test.

If you still cannot POST then do Minimum-to-Post testing:

Minimum to post  (this is minimum components to POST, it won't boot, this is to test POST. If successful POST, put things back a little at a time until find faulting component)

The minimum components to allow the PowerEdge R730 to complete POST are:

*System board

*One power supply unit

*One processor (CPU) in socket CPU1

*One memory module (DIMM) installed in socket A1

*Left control panel (for power button functionality)

*One backplane card

Remove anything not on that list:   network daughter card,   DVD, Hard drives, PERC controller, backplane, pcie network card, NIC cable, any pcie cards, keyboard, mouse, USB devices, ….  anything not on the list remove.

Leave the fans installed and monitor connected to monitor POST.

If it does not post then the issue is with one of those components.

If you get successful POST, put things back a little at a time until you find the faulting component.

No Events found!