Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2022 08:00

PowerEdge R930: SSD Dell 1.6To PCIe NVMe 06V6M

Hi,

Would the Dell 1.6TB PCIe NVMe 06V6M SSD drive work in an R930, do you need an option, a special chassis to accept this type of drive?

I'm not considering an NVMe backplane on the front but just the possibility of being able to put one or two disks internally on a PCIe slot. Am I being stupid perhaps?

I'm a bit lost with all these discs and options?

• 

3.6K Posts

September 12th, 2022 19:00

Kit Controller Card, SSD Controller, Dell Express Flash NVMe 1.6TB AIC, PCIE 3.0, Samsung, Contains Bare Controller Card Part# 06V6M, (Half Height Half Length, PM1725A)

I think you can use the part above. However, it can only be used as data storage, and you can't boot on it.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

September 12th, 2022 21:00

ESXi see it as a single Disk and you are able to create a VMFS datastore on it to place VMs onto.

Before you buy it you should check the HCL if  there is a driver for it. With our Intel we have 2 options because there was a Intel NVMe one and the generic VMware driver. Keep in mind that with ESXi 7 the driver api changed and only the NG types can be used and not the old VMKlinux based one anymore.

Dont expect that you can boot from it.

Regards,
Joerg

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

September 12th, 2022 13:00

Sounds like the card comes as PCI Card in the HHHL format. We have similar ones (Intel DC Pxxxx) as Flash cards connect within 11-14Gen. PowerEdge. Its not a "Disk"... its a PCI Card so you dont need to worry about your backplane.

Regards,
Joerg

• 

8.4K Posts

September 12th, 2022 13:00

Tafkap,

I do see the drive listed under the R930, but the issue I see is the way you want to install it. As seen on page 143 here, it looks like the only install option is by backplane. Now with that being said, I can't confirm that it will indeed fail in the PCIe slot, but since it isn't showing supported it would be based on trial and error.

Let me know if this helps.

62 Posts

September 12th, 2022 15:00

Alright guys you're not really helping me, I was looking for a clearer answer (joke).

Chris doesn't know if it will work and Origine3K tells me it's not a disc.

I therefore rephrase my question. If I insert this card PCIe into a slot PCIe of an R930, how does the latter consider it? Can we boot on it? Will my ESXi 7 see it as a disk, can I create a virtual machine on it?

62 Posts

September 13th, 2022 00:00

Thank you both, it's much clearer, I'm not going to take the risk of installing this type of disk or just to test, it could be an interesting and ultimately inexpensive solution to have a backup volume.

No Events found!