gPeg
1 Copper

PowerEdge SSD RAID Options

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am looking at building a server configuration and for storage, I would like to look at the below:

• PERC H730P RAID Controller, 2GB NV Cache
  • 2 x 200GB SSD (RAID 1 for Operating System)
  • 4 x 400GB SSD (RAID 10)

I have seen on these forums that this or similar configurations are supported and even saw a whitepaper on Dell's website where a 4-disk SSD RAID 10 was used, but yet my assigned SE just told me that SSD drives in a RAID configuration is not "recommended" by Dell and is instead trying to sell me the SanDisk DAS Cache solution.

Just looking for some confirmation that I can utilize SSD drives in a RAID configuration AND have full Dell support. Thanks in advance to whomever can assist with this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: PowerEdge SSD RAID Options

Jump to solution

Hi,

What server model are you looking at? What OS are you going to run on it? If you are using Dell validated SSDs you should not have a problem with that configuration. The controller supports TRIM and should work fine in RAID. If you are using consumer grade SSDs you may have issues.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/PowerEdge-RAID-Controller...

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi,

What server model are you looking at? What OS are you going to run on it? If you are using Dell validated SSDs you should not have a problem with that configuration. The controller supports TRIM and should work fine in RAID. If you are using consumer grade SSDs you may have issues.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/PowerEdge-RAID-Controller...

Thanks,
Josh Craig
0 Kudos
gPeg
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Josh.  We are looking at using the R730 and Linux (Red Hat, CentOS, or Ubuntu. Haven't finalized the decision yet). Any issues with this setup?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Those OSes should work fine with the SSDs. I do not see any issues with yor configuration. The only times I have seen problems is with unsupported drives and distros that don't have a driver with HBA mode and no raid cache. With a validated OS and RAID1/10 it should run fine.  

Thanks,
Josh Craig
0 Kudos