Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 8th, 2017 18:00

PowerEdge T110 -- replaced PERC H200 SAS and it is taking forever to recognize RAID array

Good day,

In this PowerEdge T110 I've replaced the Dell PERC H200 / 6gbps SAS HBA with a new card (same model and type) and it seems to be hanging with each step of trying to get it to recognize the existing RAID array. It took about 30 minutes just to "Read non-volatile settings". Already passed the 25 minute mark trying to get beyond "View Existing Volume" menu option. 

Is this normal for replacing a SAS card of this type? And could a faulty battery be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance for your input.

4 Posts

April 8th, 2017 20:00

Eventually I was able to enable BIOS & OS for the boot and Activate the volume but it is still not booting from the RAID as it did with the other card. I'm slugging my way back through the long pauses in each menu to confirm the settings and see what the problem is. 

Going 20-30 minutes between menus is killing me. What is causing this?

4 Posts

April 11th, 2017 09:00

In this case the new card recognized the RAID configuration:

RAID Properties -> View Existing Volume -> Manage Volumes

And from there you could Manage Hot Spares, Consistency Check, Activate Volume (***) or Delete Volume.

With the new card I'd choose Activate Volume. The problem was that each menu selection froze for 21 to 35 minutes before bringing up the next menu.  Even mistaken selections took 21 to 35 minutes to go back.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello.

Did you import the foreign configuration from within the controller BIOS, Ctrl+R under Foreign View?

4 Posts

Thanks for responding Robert,

On the T110 I used CTRL-C to access the H200 SAS Configuration. Prior to that I had used CTRL-R but didn't see anything that allowed for extensive configuration or working with an existing array. I also don't recall seeing anything referencing "import foreign configuration" within the controller BIOS or any "Foreign View". 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

The existing RAID configuration information is present in the hard drives and it can not be recognized by the new controller because it is foreign to the new controller. Explore the available options under the Foreign View if possible.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2017 10:00

Ensure that the system BIOS, iDRAC/BMC and controller firmware and driver is up to date. Some times sluggish menu response is caused by out of date firmware.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 11th, 2017 16:00

Possible motherboard resources issue. I would pull the raid card, start the machine, shut down reinstall card, would not hurt to pull the cmos battery, let system power  drain, re-insert battery .

40 Posts

April 12th, 2017 04:00

Hi Maxnomad

If you previously used CTRL + R to access the raid controller config that suggests to me that you had either a perc6i or H700 raid controller and now using CTRL + C you have either a sas or H200, I don't believe you will be able to import the config from a perc6i/H700 to a sas/H200 card

You also previously mentioned a battery being connected, a sas/H200 does not have write back cache so a battery is not required, this is only used with the perc6i/H700 controller

I would double check the cards are the same

Dave

No Events found!