Autodrivel
1 Copper

RE: PowerEdge T130 NVME boot

To further dredge up an old thread - because I recently purchased a T130 to act as a home testlab.

I wanted to maximise the storage and so was interested in booting off a 5th drive in order to leave the 4 main drives, hooked to the RAID controller, as data stores.

I noted that the motherboard had 2 SATA ports - one of which was used by the Optical Drive, so I hooked an SSD to the other port and found it was recognised by the BIOS and so could host the boot drive. The stumbling block was power for the extra drive - The T130 has no spare power connectors - and no easy point of splitting off power from one of the built in cables.

I guess, if you didn't have a need for the optical drive, it could be sacrificed in favour of an SSD - it would require a power adapter to go from the 4-pin Optical power to a normal SATA power cable.

Having found this thread, I came up with the following solution:

Rivo Dual M.2 SATA III and M2 to PCIe 3.0 X4 Adapter Card

Samsung 250 GB 860 EVO M.2 Sata III Solid State Drive

The Rivo card comes with a SATA lead which I plugged into the spare SATA port on the Motherboard and the PCIe card supplies the power to the M.2 card.

The above is recognised by the BIOS, so it can be installed with a bootable OS (Windows Server 2019 in my case).

Note that everything I could find said that the T130 does not support booting from NVMe cards so I stuck with a M.2 SATA. Obviously performance will take a hit, but for my use case it was plenty good enough

Autodrivel
1 Copper

Re: PowerEdge T130 NVME boot

I know this is an old thread - but I recently purchased a T130 to act as a home testlab.

I wanted to maximise the storage and so was interested in booting off a 5th drive in order to leave the 4 main drives, hooked to the RAID controller, as data stores.

I noted that the motherboard had 2 SATA ports - one of which was used by the Optical Drive, so I hooked an SSD to the other port and found it was recognised by the BIOS and so could host the boot drive. The stumbling block was power for the extra drive - The T130 no spare power connectors - and no easy point of splitting off power from one of the built in cables.

I guess, if you didn't have a need for the optical drive, it could be sacrificed in favour of an SSD - it would require a power adaptor to go from the 4-pin Optical power to a normal SATA power cable.

Having found this thread, I came up with the following solution:

Rivo Dual M.2 SATA III and M2 to PCIe 3.0 X4 Adapter Card

Samsung 250 GB 860 EVO M.2 Sata III Solid State Drive

The Rivo card comes with a SATA lead which I plugged into the spare SATA port on the Motherboard and the PCIe card supplies the power to the M.2 card.

Just to be clear - the Rivo card will support BOTH an M2.SATA and an M.2 NVME Drive - however, the former must be plugged into a SATA port on the motherboard in order to be recognised, whilst the NVME is recognisable via the PCIe bus - so long as the mobo/BIOS supports this (which the T130 doesn't)

The M.2 SATA card was recognised by the BIOS, so it could be installed with a bootable OS (Windows Server 2019 in my case).

Note that everything I could find said that the T130 doesnot support booting from NVMe cards so I stuck with a M.2 SATA. Obviously performance will take a hit, but for my use case it was plenty good enough.

0 Kudos
Shivelight
1 Copper

RE: PowerEdge T130 NVME boot

Thank you for your suggestion, it helped me a lot!

0 Kudos