PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 11-24-2020 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

PowerEdge T320: Replacing SAS drives with SSDs

Running RAID 5, I will be replacing the current 3x SAS Dell Savivo 10K.6 300GB hard drives with 3x Samsung 860 Pro 2.5" SSDs. Will I need an adapter, cradle or anything to make them fit? Can I use the current drive tray/caddy P/N: WX387 DSH-1?

And will the Samsung 860 Pro SSDs connect correctly to the SAS connectors? Any known issues or concerns with SSDs on this server or with this controller: Dell PERC H710 SCSI?

EDIT: Also, I was told I could re-silver the drives, simply replace each HDD with SSD one at a time as if the HDD was faulty. Is this possible? I didn't think you could mix HDDs and SSDs.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Dell Technologies

Hello Mike,

first things first, the SSDs will fit in the carriers. As long as the replacement drives have the same dimensions as the original drives. 

You can not mix SSDs with HDDs, don't know who mentioned that but it is wrong.

In your case, a new RAID needs to be created.
So backup all the data from the current VD,
create a new VD with the SSDs,
deploy the backup to the new VD,
confirm everything is working as desired.

Then you can destroy the old VD.

Cheers
Stefan

DellEMC

Stefan Richter
Community Manager
Brand certified, SMaC Professional

View solution in original post

Replies (4)
Dell Technologies

Hello Mike,

first things first, the SSDs will fit in the carriers. As long as the replacement drives have the same dimensions as the original drives. 

You can not mix SSDs with HDDs, don't know who mentioned that but it is wrong.

In your case, a new RAID needs to be created.
So backup all the data from the current VD,
create a new VD with the SSDs,
deploy the backup to the new VD,
confirm everything is working as desired.

Then you can destroy the old VD.

Cheers
Stefan

DellEMC

Stefan Richter
Community Manager
Brand certified, SMaC Professional

Hi Stefan,

I have a Dell T320 ( 16 bays ) with a PERC H710. I have 2 SAS drives which I want to replace with SSD's plus I want to fill the rest of the bays as well with SSD's.

Can you please let me know if the regular SSD's found on the market will work with the PERC H710 and if I can make a raid array .

Thank you.

Michael

Hello,

Non-validated drives generally work, but not all do. I'd recommend purchasing validated parts, but if that isn't an option, you may be able to find SSDs that the community has found to work. Let us know if you have additional questions, or need further clarification.

#Iwork4Dell

Hi Dylan,

Thank you! Unfortunately the validated SDD's are not in the budget. I will check and see if I can find any non validated drives that will work .

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor