Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2017 11:00

PowerEdge t130 hard drive capacity

The T130 owners manual mentions that the system only supports hard drives of 5 TiB or less. I currently have two 6 TiB WD red drives and the server recognizes both fine. I am thinking of adding 8 TiB drives in the future, am I going to have problems?

-Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 18th, 2017 15:00

Possibly. Consumer and NAS drives are never recommended in a server, and using them leaves open the possibility of issues.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 18th, 2017 16:00

Actually, you asked if you were going to have problems. Using unsupported drives, there is no way to say one way or the other without having done it and tested it with the exact same make/model and use case you have. Doesn't really matter what you are using it for, there is ALWAYS the "possibility" of issues with unsupported hardware, in particular using consumer or NAS drives because of the low-power "features" and lack of programming for enterprise commands.

There is not a set "maximum" size. The 5TB size listed in the specs was the largest certified/validated size Dell sells in its configurations as of the date the manual was published.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2017 16:00

Well I'm using this box as a home NAS for PLEX. I'm just asking about size limitations for SATA drives.

-Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 18th, 2017 17:00

BIOS updates may certainly help if the drives are connected to the motherboard (or the controller firmware if connected to a controller). While those types of enhancements are "usually" documented in the release notes, they aren't always. None of the current BIOS releases for the T130 mention anything for drives.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2017 17:00

Ok thank you. I remember past systems needed bios updates for larger drive sizes. I will just have to do my own test.

9 Posts

April 8th, 2023 04:00

On my T130, I'm running x4 16TB Toshiba drives without issue. 16TB Seagate Exos drives work fine too. They are plugged in the H330 controller, but just passed thru as physical disks. I use ESXi to pass them thru again to a Debian VM, and then use mdadm to create a software array.

H330 firmware is 25.5.9.0001

No Events found!