Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2014 12:00

PowerEdge2950 with Perc5i controller

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell PE2950  and i had a lot of problem with it, trying to reinstall OS and Disk.

Lets start by the Perc5i controller.  i notice that sometimes, when i close the server (completely - no power) and restart it.. the Port 1 of the array controller are failing and rebuild the disk 1.  Even if i changed the disk.. it's always the port 1.  I don't think that's because i change de disk from SAS to SATA.. because, it's also append once with the other disk..

So can we say that's a controller battery problem ? no????  If so, why it's always the port 1 ???

Plus, i notice that one of the power supply have a very dim green light compare to the other one, wich is very strong green light... it is a begining of a power supply problem???

The server gave me no indication...

Any help will be very appreciate...

4 Posts

Hi,

Actually, there is no OS on it, it's new disk...  for now i install just 3 disk as array-5.  I will put  3 mores when i receive the rack for the disk..

The 3 disk is Seagate Barracuda (500 GB) 7200 rpm... Firmware KC-45 (ST500DM002)

I try to install ESXI, OpenSuse, Debian, ubuntu multiple version and all failed.   i almost succeed once, but i never been able to install grub on /dev/sda and boot from it..   Even sometimes, the USB install disk just hang and never continue the install, so i bought new USB key and no change..   It's a weard problem.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

So can we say that's a controller battery problem ? no????  If so, why it's always the port 1 ???

No, it is not a battery problem.  It may be a problem with the controller, the cable, the backplane slot, the disk type/model you are using, or a problem with the array.

What OS are you running?
What is the model of all the disks in the system?
What is the RAID configuration?

Plus, i notice that one of the power supply have a very dim green light compare to the other one, wich is very strong green light... it is a begining of a power supply problem???

No, sometimes the lights just go dim.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 20th, 2014 15:00

It could still be:

- issue with the controller or cable
- backplane slot - you could try using a slot other than slot 1
- disk type/model you are using is your most likely suspect right now - the Barracuda is not intended for use in servers - it is a desktop drive
- problem with the array - probably not this, since you are setting up an array brand new - MAKE SURE you Initialize the array when you create it

No Events found!