Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 6th, 2012 09:00

Poweredge 2600 - SCSI Issue, beeping alarm

I have a PE 2600, Server 2003, RAID 5, 6 discs.  2 scsi cards.  I removed ONE SCSI card to mount it on a different server, only to find out that the card did not work.  I went to replace the card back in the 2600 after a few days.  I did not recall which port the scsi cable plugged into and which card, and when i booted up, the machine was not able to see the drives, NO green lights on the front.  There are 2 ports on each card.  I then moved around the scsi cable to each port and rebooted until I was able to get to a point where my PERC BIOS utility gave me the best results.  It now states on channel 0- all ID's FAIL, and on channel 1- READY.  It is beeping continuously.  I need help getting this back online.  Data is secure, so it is not a priority to recover the data.  Actually the RAID 5 was configured all on one array, and i would like to have one virtual drive for the OS and one for data.  Looking for a good configuration for use as a file share, print and application server.  Thanks in advance.

• 

8.4K Posts

December 6th, 2012 10:00

The alarm is due to the original array being failed, once the array is deleted the alarm should cease.

Thanks.  Is the beep I am receiving indicative of any hardware configuration or scsi cabling issue?  The server was working fine prior to unplugging the scsi card.  Thanks again.

• 

8.4K Posts

MarcoPolo_config,

If you are not concerned with the saving of the data, as you state you have it backed up, then we can just delete and recreate the array(s). I would suggest a 2 drive Raid 1 for the OS and then a 4 drive Raid 5 for the data. The insures that any issue with the host OS, doesn't involve the data.

To start lets delete the existing configurations:

Select Objects—> Logical Drive from the Management Menu.

The logical drives display.

Use the arrow key to highlight the logical drive you want to delete.

Press to delete the logical drive.

This deletes the logical drive and makes the space it occupied available for you to make another logical drive.

Then to create you need to do the following:

Select Configure—> New Configuration from the Management Menu.

Press the arrow keys to highlight specific physical drives.

Press the spacebar to associate the selected physical drive with the current array.

Press twice after you finish creating the current array.

The Select Configurable Array(s) window appears. It displays the array and array number, such as A-00.

Press the spacebar to select the array.

Press to configure a logical drive.

Highlight RAID and press to set the RAID level for the logical drive.

A list of the available RAID levels for the current logical drive appears.

Select a RAID level and press to confirm.

Move the cursor to Size and press to set the logical drive size.

Click Advanced Menu to open the menu for logical drive settings.

Set the Stripe Size.

Set the Write Policy.

Set the Read Policy.

Set the Cache Policy.

Press to exit the Advanced Menu.

After you define the current logical drive, select Accept and press .

If space remains in the arrays, the next logical drive to be configured appears. If the array space has been used, a list of the existing logical drives appears.

Press any key to continue, then respond to the Save prompt.

Press to return to the Management Menu.

The logical drives you configured need to be initialized to prepare them for use.

Select Initialize on the Management Menu.

The configured logical drives display.

NOTE: A full initialization will not resume after a power loss; it will start completely over.  

Use the arrow key to highlight a logical drive, then press the spacebar to select a logical drive or press to select all the logical drives.

Press to initialize the selected logical drive(s) and select Yes at the prompt.

When the initialization is complete, press to return to the Management Menu.

December 6th, 2012 11:00

Worked great.  Thanks a ton.  Any tips or tools necc to fire up each array pre or post OS?

December 6th, 2012 12:00

I'm up and online now.  Not really satisfied with my storage capacity.  I have about 219 GB.  Each drive is about 70 GB.  What are my options/limitations on options for increasing capacity (larger disks)?  Thanks.

Goal is to have a NAS capable of storing business information as well as music and photo backup, which is where all the storage needs arise.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Did you create a RAID 10 or did you not use all 6 disks? What would you like for storage capacity ... what is your goal?

I used your suggestion R-1 for the OS, R-5 for the storage array (4 discs).  It is a sound solutions, but I know I will need more than 200GB.  I need a Terabyte or two.  

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Well, you have three options:

1) Use larger disks.  This is the most obvious, but may be your ultimate fix.

2) Create two separate RAID 5's across the disks - this will create multiple VD's, which will show in Windows as separate "disks".  You may not want to go much smaller than 20GB for the OS partition.  What this does for you that your current config does not, is return to you one more disk's worth of storage space, giving you around 270GB for disk 1 (assuming you use 70GB for disk 0, for the OS).  If you create a 20GB (probably plenty for 2003), then you would have around 310GB of space for data.  Although this is an option, I would advise number 3 instead, as it will be more stable.

3. Create a single RAID 5 across the disks, then create separate partitions for your OS and Data (or not).  This would give you the same storage space as number 2, but would be more stable than "slicing" the disks into separate VD's.

I like option 1, but does that require tearing down what i have done with these arrays?  can I plug and play by adding a couple additional larger drives with the 70 GB drives still active, or do the drives have to match up at all times?  If i have to start over, no big deal, just trying to avoid it.

• 

8.4K Posts

One other thing. If you create both arrays now then you will need to configure which array is the boot (OS) drive. From the Perc BIOS main page select CONFIGURE, then select SPECIFY BOOT DRIVE and select the Raid 1.

Also, you can use the "Installation and Server Management" ISO to load the raid drivers for you. Just boot to it and it will tell you when to insert the 2k3 media.

ISM - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-xeo2600

Let me know if that helps.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 6th, 2012 13:00

"I like option 1, but does that require tearing down what i have done with these arrays? "

Yes, it does.  If you don't, then swapping smaller drives for larger drives will only give you an option to create a second array across the disks (similar to number 2) with the newly added space.  For example, if you swap 6x73GB disks in a single RAID 5 with 300GB disks, then you will have one 340GB VD and then you would create a second VD of 1060GB.

"can I plug and play by adding a couple additional larger drives with the 70 GB drives still active"

Yes, but this operation is completely different.  You can reconfigure a 6-disk RAID 5 to a 7 or 8-disk RAID 5, but most 2600's only support 6 disks (some support 8).  

"or do the drives have to match up at all times"

You could put in 300GB disks instead of 73GB disks for disks 7 and 8, but it will only use 73GB of each one, leaving the rest of the space unusable.  You could also add 300GB disks in a RAID 1 of their own, which will be seen by Windows as a separate disk, for additional storage.

Basically, in your current configuration, you are only using 4 disks' worth of disk capacity (one for RAID 1 redundancy, one for RAID 5 redundancy).  Reorganizing it as in options 2 and 3, will give you one disk's worth of space back.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 6th, 2012 14:00

"will I be able to swap out the smaller drive and use the RAID Management Menue to reconfigure this second array"

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean ...

Also ... 250GB is a standard SATA disk size; the 2600 takes only SCSI.

one last question.  I have 4 250 GB drives i can plug in for the second array.  will I be able to swap out the smaller drive and use the RAID Management Menue to reconfigure this second array?  thoughts?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"or do the drives have to match up at all times"

Maybe this is more your question ... you could also use two 73GB disks in a RAID 1 for your OS, then use 300GB (or whatever size you need) to make up a second array/VD.

No Events found!