theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: Poweredge 2600 - SCSI Issue, beeping alarm

Well, you have three options:

1) Use larger disks.  This is the most obvious, but may be your ultimate fix.

2) Create two separate RAID 5's across the disks - this will create multiple VD's, which will show in Windows as separate "disks".  You may not want to go much smaller than 20GB for the OS partition.  What this does for you that your current config does not, is return to you one more disk's worth of storage space, giving you around 270GB for disk 1 (assuming you use 70GB for disk 0, for the OS).  If you create a 20GB (probably plenty for 2003), then you would have around 310GB of space for data.  Although this is an option, I would advise number 3 instead, as it will be more stable.

3. Create a single RAID 5 across the disks, then create separate partitions for your OS and Data (or not).  This would give you the same storage space as number 2, but would be more stable than "slicing" the disks into separate VD's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I like option 1, but does that require tearing down what i have done with these arrays?  can I plug and play by adding a couple additional larger drives with the 70 GB drives still active, or do the drives have to match up at all times?  If i have to start over, no big deal, just trying to avoid it.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

"I like option 1, but does that require tearing down what i have done with these arrays? "

Yes, it does.  If you don't, then swapping smaller drives for larger drives will only give you an option to create a second array across the disks (similar to number 2) with the newly added space.  For example, if you swap 6x73GB disks in a single RAID 5 with 300GB disks, then you will have one 340GB VD and then you would create a second VD of 1060GB.

"can I plug and play by adding a couple additional larger drives with the 70 GB drives still active"

Yes, but this operation is completely different.  You can reconfigure a 6-disk RAID 5 to a 7 or 8-disk RAID 5, but most 2600's only support 6 disks (some support 8).  

"or do the drives have to match up at all times"

You could put in 300GB disks instead of 73GB disks for disks 7 and 8, but it will only use 73GB of each one, leaving the rest of the space unusable.  You could also add 300GB disks in a RAID 1 of their own, which will be seen by Windows as a separate disk, for additional storage.

Basically, in your current configuration, you are only using 4 disks' worth of disk capacity (one for RAID 1 redundancy, one for RAID 5 redundancy).  Reorganizing it as in options 2 and 3, will give you one disk's worth of space back.

0 Kudos

one last question.  I have 4 250 GB drives i can plug in for the second array.  will I be able to swap out the smaller drive and use the RAID Management Menue to reconfigure this second array?  thoughts?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

"will I be able to swap out the smaller drive and use the RAID Management Menue to reconfigure this second array"

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean ...

Also ... 250GB is a standard SATA disk size; the 2600 takes only SCSI.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

"or do the drives have to match up at all times"

Maybe this is more your question ... you could also use two 73GB disks in a RAID 1 for your OS, then use 300GB (or whatever size you need) to make up a second array/VD.

0 Kudos