Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2011 03:00

Poweredge 2900, Perc 6i raid controller. Hyper-V and adding a virtual disk.

Hi,

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I don't work with Hyper-V but in this instance, I don't have a choice. The main problem is that the server is out of space. There is about 800mb left on the data partition that contains the VMs and Vhd's etc. Ideally, I don't want to shutdown the virtual servers in order to resize them as there are no backups bar data etc. What I have done so far is to add another 300GB SAS drive to the server.

I see the drive in the Openmanage server configuration and on the backplane. It is the fourth listed and currently says 0GB of used raid space which one would expect. I can go in to the Virtual disk configuration and see three SAS 300GB disck ticked with 0GB free and a fourth drive unticked with 278.88GB free. I can select this drive, click continue and I am then presented with a list of options for my raid configuration (0,5,6). If I select Raid 5 (Existing configuration) I am presented with a new size of approximately 840GB. I then have the option to continue.

My question is this; Is this a destructive build? I don't think so but want to be absolutely certain before proceeding. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Joe.

4 Posts

May 5th, 2011 09:00

Thanks for that. I thought that this was the case but having really only worked on HP servers before, I wasn't too sure. Normally I see the option to expand and that speaks for itself. I'll get cracking now. I really appreciate your swift response.

Joe.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 5th, 2011 09:00

As long as you are choosing the Reconfigure option from the Virtual Disk's dropdown menu, then no, this is not destructive.  A reconfigure is a feature built in to the PERC's to allow online expansion of the array.  Just keep in mind that it may affect performance for the few hours the reconfigure is running, and once complete, you will still need to use Disk Management to extend the data partition to utilize the new Unpartitioned Space.

4 Posts

May 6th, 2011 02:00

Hi,

Just connected back into the Hyper-V server and the virtual disk expansion has finished. I presemed I could then use diskpart to scan for the unused space and then assign it to the partition I want. I can't see anything and am wondering if I need to physically restart the server. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 6th, 2011 09:00

For some reason I have yet to figure out, sometimes a reboot is required, but most often it is not, so if you are not seeing the new Unpartitioned Space in Disk Management, then you will probably need to reboot.

May 6th, 2011 13:00

I have seen where the unallocated space doesnt show up in disk management after a reconfigure, however performing a rescan has resolved that in most cases. If not you will have to restart the server.

4 Posts

May 7th, 2011 06:00

Hi folks,

Thanks for your responses. You are right. I wasn't in a position to restart the server so I rescanned after about twenty minutes and the space was then available to me. As you know, extending the partition took only a few seconds and now we are back in business. Incidently, I attempted to get support/advice on the Hyper-V module itself from Microsoft. The only means of doing so is to open up a 299 call charge and they'll get back to you when they are fit and ready. Very disappointing experience all round bar the help you guys have provided.

Thanks again,

Joe.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 7th, 2011 08:00

Was this OS then purchased with the server?  If so, part of the price you pay for the discount that OEM software provides is that Microsoft no longer provides (free) support for it.  Support is up to the OEM, so if you needed software support for OEM software, you would have needed to purchase software support (ProSupport) from Dell, as their basic support is hardware only (including installation of any supported OS).

Glad we could have helped some though :)

Take care.

No Events found!