Highlighted
jfurnas
1 Copper

Poweredge 2950 Gen 3

Hello, 

I am purchasing my first dell server, and it's a poweredge 2950 gen 3. It's purpose is to replace my current overpowered desktop machine that is acting as a server. After reading, I have come to understand that the raid controller on the 2950 only supports hard drives up to a maximum of 2tb in size. This is a problem, as I currently have 4 4TB drives in my current system that I plan to port over. Since I am not planning on using a RAID configuration, will the server support the 4x4TB drives in pass-through, or is there no chance of getting 16 terabytes into the 2950?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Poweredge 2950 Gen 3

Hello

Since I am not planning on using a RAID configuration, will the server support the 4x4TB drives in pass-through, or is there no chance of getting 16 terabytes into the 2950?

The 2TB is an addressing limit. If you are not using RAID then the controller is not addressing the disk, so it should theoretically allow you to use drives larger than 2TB. Drives larger than 2TB are not validated on a 2950, so it will be trial and error.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos