Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 20th, 2017 09:00

Poweredge R210 showing raid degraded on startup

This server has 2 x1 TB Sata drives configured as a virtual raid 1.  I see the degraded message during boot but windows does load and runs, though it is slow and momentarily freezes for 10-20 seconds every once and awhile.  In open manage  there is an error triangle next to the virtual drive.  If you mouse over the triangle it says - non-critical.  I was expecting to drill down further and see the physical drives with one showing an error, but it does not let you any further than seeing the single virtual drive.

Does this indicate that drive 1 is bad and should be replaced?  If so, should I replace the drive and let it rebuild on its own or do I need to first undo the raid, replace the drive, then recreate the mirror?  Or is there something else I need to be looking at?  I appreciate any help on this issue.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 20th, 2017 21:00

Does this indicate that drive 1 is bad and should be replaced?  If so, should I replace the drive and let it rebuild on its own or do I need to first undo the raid, replace the drive, then recreate the mirror? 

What makes you think drive 1 and not drive 2 (or 0)? If you replace it, there is no reason to "undo/recreate" ... you replace the drive, and if it doesn't automatically rebuild, then you assign it as a hot-spare to start the rebuild.

Or is there something else I need to be looking at? 

What drive make/model are you using?

24 Posts

May 20th, 2017 23:00

Thanks for the information. Looking at the raid from bios it shows it is booting from drive 0, so that is why I am assuming drive 1 may be bad.  The drives that are in there now are Dell made by WD - 50XV4 Dell 1TB 7.2K 3.5 SATA HDD

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 21st, 2017 19:00

You'll want to make sure you have a good backup. If the virtual disk is showing an error, but not on either drive, then it is likely the array is corrupt.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 21st, 2017 19:00

If using the onboard S-series RAID controller, you are probably seeing Virtual Disk 1 as the boot drive. Only in the RAID configuration utility can you see if you have a drive that is offline/failed.

24 Posts

May 21st, 2017 21:00

After making the backup, what is the best course of action?

24 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 11:00

The controller is the SAS 6/ir.  I used ctrl-c to go into raid bios but didn't see the virtual or physical drives, maybe I missed the menu option?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 12:00

You spoke of a virtual drive ... where did you see that? if you don't see it in CTRL-C, are the drives listed in something non-RAID? or maybe they aren't managed by that controller at all ...

24 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 12:00

I believe I saw the virtual drive in open manage, but I wasn't able to see physical drives there.  What I saw when I went in via ctrl-C was a pull down that offered changing the boot drive to either 0 or 1.  If there were more options, I didn't see how to get to them but I may not have spent enough time looking.  I'd like to go back onsite this week with a new drive and hopefully figure out the right remedy.  The SAS 6/ir is listed on the original Dell system configuration, but it sounds like you are saying the drives could be connected to something else, like motherboard connectors?  Is there another bios option I should try, like ctrl-r?

24 Posts

May 24th, 2017 19:00

I took a closer look at the server.  In Open Manage it shows that the controller is SAS 6/iR.  There are 2 connectors.  Under connector 0, it shows one physical disk 0:1.  Under connector 1, there are no physical disks.  Under virtual disks, it shows virtual disk 0 Raid 1, and there is an error triangle next to it. Under virtual disk 0, it shows physical disk 0:1.

I also looked closer at the bios setup, via control-C.  By opening the raid setup, it showed 2 physical disks as follows:

Slot Number     Raid     Hot spare      Drive status

1                        Yes      No                 Primary

----                     Yes      No                 Missing

I did open there server and there are 2 physical cabled drives,  All connections are secure.  Does this indicate that drive 0 is the bad drive or is there more going on here?

24 Posts

June 17th, 2017 21:00

I went ahead and replaced drive 0, using a Dell drive that is the same part number as the failed drive.  The drive did not automatically rebuild but now in Open Manage I see 2 physical disks under the virtual drive.  Drive 1 shows online with no errors.  Drive 0 shows offline with status critical.  I tried to assign drive 0 as a hot spare, but this option is not available under the task pull down.  It shows only - no task available.  Another thing I noticed for the virtual drive under hot spare policy violated - yes.  How can I get the new drive to rebuild?  Could the controller also be a problem?

24 Posts

June 29th, 2017 20:00

Anyone have a suggestion on this?  Is my only option to backup, delete and recreate the array, and then restore the backup?

No Events found!