Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2016 23:00

Poweredge R230 Add RAID Controller

Need for advice: The goal is to add Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller H330 to a Dell Poweredge R230 server.

Originally, the drive data connection is to the motherboard with a mini-SAS connector, the power supply cord is linked to the board itself as well from with a 6pin connector. Since the new RAID controller has a different mini-SAS connector (SFF8644), I cannot use the original cable.

So, trying to resolve this I purchased a cable - Mini SAS SFF 8643 to 4 X SFF-8482 SAS. This would link the RAID controller to the drives. (THIS)

I also added a power cords: 4 Pin IDE Power Supply Molex 1 Male to 3 x Female Splitter & 2x 4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin PCI-E Power Supply Cable Adapter (THIS), (THIS). This was supposed to provide power to the drives - however it does not and they wont turn on.

Any ideas why? Any other ideas of ways to resolve this?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 1st, 2016 10:00

1. Initially, I figured out the topology based on the information on the user manual, see attached figure describing "Cabling two 3.5-inch hard drives to the PERC card". Is that not relevant?

The information I had provided earlier is based on cabling the PERC H330 controller with the 4x 3.5" backplane which I assumed you had based on your notes. Thanks for your clarification and ignore those P/Ns. Here are the cables that you need.

• Signal and LED cable of P/N 6R7VT to connect the H330 controller to the motherboard
  • Cable from SAS port A on H330 to 2 hard drives and optical drive, P/N  TTN3V
  • Hard drive/optical drive  power cable from system board P/N N9P7R for 4 HD (shipped with your server. Use only 2 connectors) or P/N VXR2 for 2 hard drives.

457CH, TWV59, 6R7VT: I cannot find any of them on the dell website, can you share links?

I would recommend that you contact Dell sales in your region directly.

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 31st, 2016 10:00

Hello.

It is likely that you are not using the correct cables.

So, trying to resolve this I purchased a cable - Mini SAS SFF 8643 to 4 X SFF-8482 SAS. This would link the RAID controller to the drives. (THIS)

When using a backplane, there is no direct cable connection to the hard drives because they are hot swap. You need SAS cable for connection between Controller & x4 Backplane P/N 457CH 

I also added a power cords: 4 Pin IDE Power Supply Molex 1 Male to 3 x Female Splitter & 2x 4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin PCI-E Power Supply Cable Adapter (THIS), (THIS). This was supposed to provide power to the drives - however it does not and they wont turn on

For this purpose, you need  P/N TWV59 for power cable connection from motherboard to x4 Backplane. In addition, you need a signal and LED cable of P/N 6R7VT to connect the H330 controller to the motherboard.

Let me know whether you have any additional inquiries.

13 Posts

October 31st, 2016 23:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

A few questions:

1. Initially, I figured out the topology based on the information on the user manual, see attached figure describing "Cabling two 3.5-inch hard drives to the PERC card". Is that not relevant?

2. 457CH, TWV59, 6R7VT: I cannot find any of them on the dell website, can you share links?

3. The above parts are needed in addition to the existing parts (server tag 737DDD2, no backplane) ?

Thank you

No Events found!