Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2016 21:00

Poweredge R510 PERC H700 Degraded Raid 5 after replacing predicted failure drive

I had 1 drive in a RAID 5 array with a predictive failure but the array was fine.  I replaced it with the same model drive.  The rebuild started but failed.  Now the array is degraded.  Should I put the original drive back in until I can get another drive?  I've also ordered some additional drive trays so I can insert the new drives as hot swaps instead of replacing the drive.  Any advice would be appreciated.  My warranty is out and I'm having difficulties renewing it due to the accout being in the leasing company's name and some sort of account hold.  What a nightmare.  

• 

8.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Darmourtn,

With the original drive being in a Predicted Failure state I would not recommend you placing it back in the server, that is due to the chance of causing a punctured stripe by transferring the bad blocks from the Predicted Failure drive back to the remaining drives.

When the replacement drive failed, did you see what the error was, if any?

Lastly, while waiting for a replacement, I would verify that the driver and firmware are current and up to date.

Let me know how it goes.

No Events found!