Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2020 08:00

Poweredge R510_PERC H700 Integrated storage controller driver issues

Running Poweredge R510 with PERC H700 Integrated storage controller. OS: windows server 2008 R2 SP1 

After sorting OMSA on the server I was alerted to the fact the driver and firmware for the storage controller was outdated 

• current driver version available from Dell is: v.4.31.1.64
  • Currently installed driver version is: 4.05.01.64
  • OMSA minimum driver version flagged is: 4.31.01.32

• I have tried the latest version driver - failed - no older versions available on the Dell site
  • Tried 32 version - failed
  • Tried driver and firmware updates then rebooting. FW update taken without issue but driver is crashing the system 

When I say failed, the installer shows successful, the server reboots and then Im at the sytem recovery screen. 

I killed all running apps etc prior to install. Just updated BIOS to latest version but cannot find any inbetween storage controller driver updates to get this working. 

Help, thanks!

• 

790 Posts

June 25th, 2020 06:00

Weird

Well, there where two fixes implemented with this version:

- Performance enhancement with IEEE SGL Format by restricting OS MAX IO size to 128kb
- Fixed Online Controller Reset (OCR) issue causing potential page fault in firmware.

If you can live with the older version, keep it as it is.

But still, it is strange, that Windows recovers after the installation. I figured out that the last number in the version is just the flag if it is 32 or 64 bits. So, you are running a 64-bit os, so you should use the 64-bit driver. 

I don't know why it insists on the 32-bit one.

I found nothing like this in our knowledge base, so I recommend to use the controller as it is. With the latest firmware and a bit older driver.

Best regards,
Stefan

2.9K Posts

June 5th, 2020 13:00

Is there any chance you could share some images of what you're seeing? I ask because the driver version I see on the page is 12.10.7-0001. It might also be helpful if you could link to the update you're using.

https://dell.to/2XBqg8T

8 Posts

June 25th, 2020 00:00

Hi there 

OMReport info as follows;

Name : PERC H700 Integrated
Slot ID : PCI Slot 4
State : Degraded
Firmware Version : 12.10.7-0001
Latest Available Firmware Version : Not Applicable
Driver Version : 4.05.01.64
Minimum Required Driver Version : 4.31.01.32

Took some doing to get server admin working. Current working version in place - (64bit) version 7.4.0 

PERC Drivers TESTED

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=9fvj2&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r510

Also

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=w7x7h&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r510

Firmware running latest version from Downloads site. 

Latest driver on Dell site when searching by serial number > perc h700 integrated is: v.4.31.1.64, A02  (second link) 

Thanks

Donna

• 

790 Posts

June 25th, 2020 01:00

Hi Donna,

Perform the following steps to update the Windows driver for the RAID controller already installed on your system.

NOTE: It is important that you idle your system before you update the driver.

1. Press Start > Control Panel > System.
    The System Properties screen displays.
  2. Click on the Hardware tab.
  3. Click on the Device Manager and the Device Manager screen displays.
  4. Click on SCSI and RAID Controllers.
  5. Double-click on the RAID controller for which you want to update the driver.
  6. Click on the Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
    The screen for the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard displays.
  7. Insert the appropriate driver diskette or USB key.
    NOTE: driver files can also be copied to the hard drive.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Follow the steps in the Wizard to browse for new driver.
  10. Select the driver.
  11. Click Next and continue the installation steps in the Wizard.
  12. Click Finish to exit the wizard and reboot the system for the changes to take effect.

Best regards

Stefan

• 

790 Posts

June 25th, 2020 03:00

Nope,

just check that the system does not run any read or write-intensive tasks on the drives.

Tbh, I never heard that it will harm the installation of the driver, as the installation is a writing task

Just go ahead and install like described, this should do it.

Cheers
Stefan

8 Posts

June 25th, 2020 03:00

Thanks Stefan 

I think Ive tried this but will do it again with the version flagged in omreport. 

The server really just handles backups which run in the evening, so bar closing open apps...anything else specific i need to focus on to idle the system?

Thanks

Donna

8 Posts

June 25th, 2020 05:00

Yes - if pointing to the latest download when updating via device manager it shows its up to date. 

Server admin shows the same version in place within device manager (older one) and a newer minimum version number thats required. This newer version is the one I downloaded from Dell and placed on the machine. It seems to be quite difficult to get older versions from the downloads site, for example, to test a driver in the middle...so newer than the currently installed 4.05 but older than the latest available on the website of _4.31.1.64_A02...Is it possible to find the min version flagged below?

Driver Version : 4.05.01.64
Minimum Required Driver Version : 4.31.01.32

Thanks

Donna

• 

790 Posts

I found it on our downloads page https://dell.to/2BAyUfx (https://dell.to/3eAgaex)

Sometimes we also have older versions online, in order to downgrade. For this PERC it's not. I have to say, that this PERC is already old, so we keep the latest working drivers online and delete the prior versions. 

8 Posts

Hi Stefan 

Slightly diff options....I dont have SCSI and RAID controllers in device manager, instead I can expand storage Controllers and see my different controllers. I double clicked the PERC h700 integrated and browsed to folder on C drive which held the update from the Dell downloads site: SAS RAID_Driver_W7X7H_WN32_4.31.1.64_A02 (1)

This seems to be named as though 32bit driver but shows compatible with 64 bit system 

Controllers.PNGUptodate.PNG

Thanks

Donna

• 

790 Posts

Hi Donna,

so WIndows thinks the latest driver is already installed but shows an older version number.

And in OpenManage Server Admin it shows which version?

8 Posts

Thank you Stefan 

Appreciate all your help - I will stick with the current driver and suppress the alerts. 

Kind regards

Donna

8 Posts

Issues with this one too -  4.23.0.64, A01 - RAID_DRVR_WIN_R268786.EXE 

Post reboot and im sat at system recovery. I have tried this numerous times. As its an older controller and I cant get a working upgrade, should I leave the current version as is or is this going to cause big issues?

Thanks, Donna

8 Posts

Thanks Stefan 

As the current version - v.4.31.1.64, A02 - was failing I am trying to one prior to this. The required min version showing is the 32bit version. Our server is 2008 R2 x64 ...not sure why it wants the 32 bit 

When clicking update driver from device manager, its looking for an inf file and the download is an exe....so I have just tried allowing the pc to detect the newer version and am currently rebooting. 

Testing Driver:   4.23.0.64, A01 - RAID_DRVR_WIN_R268786.EXE

Kind regards
Donna
No Events found!