Go to Solution

November 27th, 2013 11:00

Poweredge R610 add hard drives to Hyper-V Server 2008 r2 PERC6i

I have:

Poweredge R610 PERC 6i

3 x 146GB SAS in Raid 5

I just added three more 146GB SAS drives

How do I expand the RAID 5 from here?

I've been reading up on Open Manage but have not seen a clear path to get this working the best way.  Thanks in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 27th, 2013 11:00

In OMSA, go to Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks, and choose Reconfigure from the dropdown menu of Available Tasks for your RAID 5.  It will start a wizard, walking you through adding the new disks to your RAID 5. 

The physical disks must be showing as READY first (if showing Foreign, that must be cleared before you can do anything - Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration, Foreign/Clear from the dropdown for the controller).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 28th, 2013 07:00

As always, you should start with a backup, but it is designed to expand your current storage disk while online, on the fly, without damaging existing data. Once the reconfigure is complete, you will need to extend your partition using DiskPart.  This will not add space to your VM's ... you must use whatever procedure Hyper-V has for expanding or enlarging existing VHD's.

4 Posts

November 27th, 2013 13:00

How do I get OMSA on to the barebones Hyper-v Server OS?  Is there a cmd line client to install first then the admin too to remote to it?  

4 Posts

November 27th, 2013 14:00

UPDATE:

I was able to get OMSA 7.2 installed and have logged on to the server.  I can follow your guidance on reconfiguring the virtual disks.  Where this is a production server will it wipe out my installed virtual machines?  There is a simple C: drive in virtual disks.  My ultimate goal is to add space to the existing to allow me to add some additional space to the virtual machines that are running out.

No Events found!