Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 29th, 2015 13:00

Poweredge R900 Perc 6/i Problem

Hi,

I have a Poweredge R900 server with Perc 6/i and a 3.5" x 5 backplane. I've been using (4) 600GB Dell SAS 15k drives in a RAID 10 configuration with no 5th drive. I just got around to adding a 5th drive to the server and I'm having problems getting the drive operational. I just want to add the 5th drive as JBOD (RAID 0) disk for backups. I've tried a 136GB Dell SAS 15K, a 2TB Western Digital RE4, and a 2TB Western Digital Black drive in the 5th slot with no luck. The lights on all three drives start out green but all three turn to a flashing amber during the boot process. If I go into the configuration settings (Ctrl-R) during the post the drives do not show up. My question is, what is most likely culprit? Is it the backplane, the Perc 6/i card, or the cables? Could it be that since I used RAID 10 I can't use the 5th slot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin G

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 29th, 2015 15:00

The PERC does not support non-RAID (JBOD). You can add a "stand-alone" drive, but it must be configured as a RAID 0. If the drive is in a foreign state (likely), you need to CLEAR it (highlight controller on VD MGMT screen in CTRL-R, F2, Foreign, Clear).

12 Posts

March 29th, 2015 18:00

Should I be seeing it on the Physical Disks screen?  None of the three disks I tried show up on the PD screen.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 30th, 2015 08:00

The should show up on the PD MGMT screen, whether in a Ready or a Foreign state.

27 Posts

April 1st, 2015 14:00

It sounds to me like it may be an issue with the backplane. If it were the cables or the PERC 6, then you would be seeing issues with more than just that drive. Have you confirmed that these drives work in other systems?

12 Posts

April 1st, 2015 17:00

Yes, all three drives work in other systems.  Couldn't I move the RAID10 drive 3 to the 4 spot (5th slot) to test or will the RAID10 not know how to deal with that?

27 Posts

April 1st, 2015 20:00

You would be able to do that, you'll just have to rebuild the drive back into the array once you're done. I'd make sure you have a backup

No Events found!