Highlighted
brucefan
1 Nickel

Poweredge RAID 1 mirror degraded but drive is fine

Jump to solution

Have a Poweredge 2650 with a Perc 3/di controller.   Our system drive is 2 - 33GB drives in a RAID 1 array.  This morning after rebooting the server, Openmanage is reporting a degraded virtual drive.  The physical disks show no problems but the "State" on one says Ready (with 0 GB used and 33GB available Raid space)  and the other says Online.  It's like one drive just dropped out of the Raid 1 array.  How can I add that drive back into the array?    Do I have to unmirror the degraded virtual disk then add that drive back?   I've tried reseating the drive but that didn't do anything.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Poweredge RAID 1 mirror degraded but drive is fine

Jump to solution

The PERC 3/DI is an Adaptec controller and can be very limited in it's ability to obtaining logs, and recovering any array. I would first suggest that you have a full backup. Then proceed with testing the hardware to ensure you are rebuilding a good drive. You can use the PE diagnostics inside the OS, or 32 bit diagnostics outside the OS.

PE

32 BIT

If the hardware checks out good, then I would proceed with making the Ready drive a hot spare and see if it will rebuild into the array. In some cases with older firmware the controller will not pick up on the hot spare and the array will stay degraded. In that case you may need to delete the array, recreate the array, initialize and restore from your backup.

Once all is back to normal I would suggest making sure the server firmware is up to date,

support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

Keep us updated,

Thanks

Daniel Covey
Dell EMC| Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter:@DellCaresPRO
Download our QRL app:iOS, Android, Windows
Dell Networking Resources

4 Replies

Jump to solution

The PERC 3/DI is an Adaptec controller and can be very limited in it's ability to obtaining logs, and recovering any array. I would first suggest that you have a full backup. Then proceed with testing the hardware to ensure you are rebuilding a good drive. You can use the PE diagnostics inside the OS, or 32 bit diagnostics outside the OS.

PE

32 BIT

If the hardware checks out good, then I would proceed with making the Ready drive a hot spare and see if it will rebuild into the array. In some cases with older firmware the controller will not pick up on the hot spare and the array will stay degraded. In that case you may need to delete the array, recreate the array, initialize and restore from your backup.

Once all is back to normal I would suggest making sure the server firmware is up to date,

support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

Keep us updated,

Thanks

Daniel Covey
Dell EMC| Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter:@DellCaresPRO
Download our QRL app:iOS, Android, Windows
Dell Networking Resources

brucefan
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Everything looked good and adding as a hot spare worked fine.   Virtual disk is back in Ready state.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

As Daniel suggested, I would also recommend testing the drive before putting yourself through any more headaches.  If the drive is bad, there is no sense in trying to rebuild it.  If the drive passes the Online Diagnostics (or even more thorough 32-bit diagnostics), then assign it as a Hot Spare to begin a rebuild.

Once rebuilt, I would strongly recommend updating the BIOS, ESM/BMC, RAID, then HDD firmwares, as it was probably a firmware glitch (if not a bad drive) that caused it to go offline.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Oops ... should have refreshed my screen 🙂

0 Kudos