Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2016 19:00

Poweredge T110 II Hard Drive Partition Issue - Please HELP

Our small business purchased a server and got a RAID 1 configuration (2 1TB hard drives). The original server software was Windows Server 2008 R2. 

The original IT tech was not familiar with Windows Server and installed Windows 7 Pro instead.

All our software that we run for our accounting firm gets installed on the C drive and the files are saved on the D drive. 

I am not able to move any GB from the D drive to the C drive. 

Do I need to reformat the server? How can I find the other 1TB hard drive not being used? What are my best options?

Please advise! Thank you

• 

8.4K Posts

February 4th, 2016 07:00

9fin,

The recommended procedure would be to recreate the partitions. Yet there is another option, it is by using ExtPart. With that you will be able to expand C:. The drawback to this program is that in order to expand C:, you would have to backup and then delete the later drives like D:. Once D is deleted then you can use Extpart to expand C:. On completion you can then recreate D: and restore the data from backup.

With it being Win 7 I am not sure how well it would work, I would make a complete backup to be safe.

Let me know how it goes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 6th, 2016 10:00

You don't need ExtPart for Windows 7. You can extend the partition right in Disk Management (or diskpart). ExtPart was for 2003/XP, which could NOT extend/shrink partitions natively. You still have to delete D: first though. You could put in another 1TB drive and move the D: drive contents to it, but whether you backup/restore or move to another disk, D: must be deleted before you can extend C: (unless you pay for a utility that can do it on the fly, but they are usually expensive, and the free ones don't often work like you would hope).

112 Posts

February 7th, 2016 02:00

Drive C and drive D are separate windows disks and you cannot extend the boot volume across a additional windows disk. See technet.microsoft.com/.../cc753058.aspx

Not to mention the fact that more than likely you have a "sliced" array already(multiple virtual disks across the same physical disks). I would assume they are sliced due to such a small OS disk. Backup and restore should be your only move here. After backing up, I would recreate the array(s) to your preference.

"How can I find the other 1TB hard drive not being used?"

With a Raid 1 on a hardware/driver based storage controller , 2 -1 TB drives in a virtual disk would give you a 1 TB drive to use in Windows because the drives are mirrored. Windows won't show the 2 individuals drives in a Raid 1 , and it will present the virtual disk as 1 disk to Windows. I believe the reason you see 2 disks in Windows is that you have 2 Raid 1 Virtual disks "sliced" across the same set of physical disks  If you look at the space in C and D , there is your 1 TB of space.There is no missing drive.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 7th, 2016 09:00

There is nothing to indicate the "drives" (C:, D:) are separate "disks" in his case. They certainly could be, but I think it is unlikely, so extending the C: drive should go as directed above. But yes, in the unlikely event there are multiple arrays across the disks (essentially incorrectly partitioning with VD's instead of Windows-managed partitions), then you would need to do a FULL backup/restore to fix it.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2016 20:00

Thank you all for your assistance and feedback. It does seem the disks are sliced (C drive for OS, D Drive for data). I am not able to use any program to just expand the C drive (and also is grayed out when attempting).

So, if I do a backup and restore, how do I recreate the partitions in the drive?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 8th, 2016 20:00

Just because you have a C: drive and a D: drive does not mean you have a sliced array. Drives are not the same as disks. Open Disk Management ... don't look at the volumes at the top ... look at the "Disks" in the bottom part. How many does it show and what are their sizes? What partitions are on the disk(s). You will see the partitions configured on each "disk". A screenshot would be helpful.

No Events found!